Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive sheet metal flange

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
477 Views, 3 Replies

Adaptive sheet metal flange

How can "or can you ?" make a sheet metal flange adaptive? I’m using Inventor 5 I really only want the angle to be adaptive. I don't care about the length of the flange changing. Example....If I had a box 24" X 24"....all six sides equal....the four sides that surround it are 1/8" thick sheets..(No flanges)...the other two are the front and the rear of the box....the front being side 1 and the rear being side 2.....These have flanges all around them 1" long at 90 degrees......if I take side 1 and make it 12" X 12" then when I update everything after editing Side 1 the angles of flanges on Sides 1 and 2 should change but instead after editing it gives the big "no can do" constraint error message.....Now....my drawing consists of six parts… Side 1 through Side 6 and there all adaptive from the ground up!! Is there something I'm doing wrong or can this even be done?? Anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated. I will try and attach my sample drawing under the same heading to CF for anyone to Dissect…. Thanks Gary
CF = Flange test.zip
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

When you change from 24" to 12" you want these 1" flanges to angle out to the 24" size???
Or is what you are wanting to have the other 5 sides scale down to match it?

A couple of starter points on your drawing... one part should always be grounded, and the
part you are changing shouldn't need to be adaptive.

I prefer the master sketch method personally. Unfortunately I think the tutorial on my
site was done in R5.3

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"Gary_G" wrote in message news:f148f31.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> How can "or can you ?" make a sheet metal flange adaptive? I'm using Inventor 5 I really
only want the angle to be adaptive. I don't care about the length of the flange changing.
Example....If I had a box 24" X 24"....all six sides equal....the four sides that surround
it are 1/8" thick sheets..(No flanges)...the other two are the front and the rear of the
box....the front being side 1 and the rear being side 2.....These have flanges all around
them 1" long at 90 degrees......if I take side 1 and make it 12" X 12" then when I update
everything after editing Side 1 the angles of flanges on Sides 1 and 2 should change but
instead after editing it gives the big "no can do" constraint error message.....Now....my
drawing consists of six parts. Side 1 through Side 6 and there all adaptive from the
ground up!! Is there something I'm doing wrong or can this even be done?? Anyone's help
would be greatly appreciated. I will try and attach my sample drawing under the same
heading to CF for anyone to Dissect.. Thanks Gary
> CF = Flange test.zip
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Yes... and vise-versa for the 24" side "side 2" which will have it's angle's go inwards to the 12 X 12 side. Note...all six sides will change making a pyramid shape with the top cut off... If you notice in my drawing that side's 1 and 2 have flanges with "corner seams" to allow for this change in angles. With out this it definitely will not work.

Question??... If I had a sheet metal piece with one edge only having a flange…and I drew a sketch through it….and I constrained the sketch to the sheet metal ....could I drive the angle of the flange by changing the angle of the sketch....flange being adaptive of course.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Unfortunately I have no way of posting anything in R5 format. I would still suggest
looking into Master sketch modeling of one sort or another. There are tutorials at a
number of places
I have on one my site, but you won't be able to open the file, only read the PDF that goes
with it.
http://www.mymcad.com/KWiK/mcad.htm follow the iMaster Link
Sean has one also www.sdotson.com and you can find one here (watch for word wrap)
http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/Articles/process_articles_by_product.jsp?catId
=1&contenttypeId=1&productId=36661

As for your question, I think you would have more luck using a contour flange than a
normal flange. I have personally found adaptivity to touchy and don't use it much, so I
am probably not the best one to answer your questions on it.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"Gary_G" wrote in message news:f148f31.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Yes... and vise-versa for the 24" side "side 2" which will have it's angle's go inwards
to the 12 X 12 side. Note...all six sides will change making a pyramid shape with the top
cut off... If you notice in my drawing that side's 1 and 2 have flanges with "corner
seams" to allow for this change in angles. With out this it definitely will not work.
> Question??... If I had a sheet metal piece with one edge only having a flange.and I drew
a sketch through it..and I constrained the sketch to the sheet metal ....could I drive the
angle of the flange by changing the angle of the sketch....flange being adaptive of
course.
>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report