Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADDING MATERIALS TO WELDMENT I-ASSEMBLIES

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CrAzY-MiKe
986 Views, 4 Replies

ADDING MATERIALS TO WELDMENT I-ASSEMBLIES

There seems to be no way in my weldment i-assemblies to add the Material property column and populate it with materials from our custom materials OR appearances libraries. I have placed the materials in question into the document (see attached picture), but Inventor apparently can't use them. It works fine in the i-parts that make up the i-assenbly weldment, so that in their tables I can switch Apperances from CS to SS as required. I want to be able to set the material in the weldment model so that I can leave the weld material i-property setting to "As Material" and then set the material in the table so the welds automatically match the materials of the i-parts in the table.  Is this making any sense to anyone? Earlier releases allowed this, but the change-over to Appearances seems to have eliminated this functionality.

Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can you please post your actual Inventor data for further investigation ? If you also have a custom material/appearance library in use (.adsklib file) then please also post that.

If you would prefer to send it to me then use chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: CrAzY-MiKe

Let me try to clarify further.

I have a weldment assembly that I have turned into an I-Assembly. Attached PIC-1.jpg shows the assembly view tree and you can see the 3 lines in the table, one each of carbon steel (CS), stainless steel (SS), and 316L stainless steel (LS). These are custom materials we created based on standard materials that come with Inventor. The weldment consists of two I-Parts, the caster pad and some weld studs in the Component Pattern. Both these I-Parts have tables that consist of CS, SS and LS versions of the modeled parts.

SO, here they are in the I-Assembly. When I right-click on the Welds symbol in the tree and select I-Properties, then pick the Weld Bead tab, I get the info displayed in attached PIC-2.jpg. As you will see when you look at PIC-2,  the default Weld Bead Apperance is "As Material".  This is AMAZING!!!  Because of this, all I have to do is add the Material column to the table in my Weldment I-Assembly and enter the different pre-defined Materials for CS, SS and LS.

Unfortunately, Inventor won't recognize my materials as valid weldable material styles (see PIC-3.jpg).

So, ultmately the question is NOT "can I add Materials to my Weldment I-Assembly?", because the answer is YES.

The question is, how can I make my custom Material Styles valid as weldable materials?

Which I should probably post as a separate topic with a more appropriate Subject...  Smiley Happy

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 4 of 5

This is a defect that is currently being investigated.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: CrAzY-MiKe

Hi, Chris!

I see you found this, my earlier posting, which generated the one to which you responded this morning.

Thanks for the follow-up, and I will assemble what little data I have and pass it along through the other message.

Michael Hollingsworth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report