Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACME Screw Threads xls file

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
karthur1
16916 Views, 32 Replies

ACME Screw Threads xls file

Need to put ACME Threads on a parts.  Searched here and found the attached ACME Threads.xls file.  I copy/pasted this into my Threads.xls.  Now when I try to use it, I get an error "Error in ACME thread family: Unit string in cell A1 is incorrect".  I have tried editing the cell, but I cant get this to work.

It appears that this spreadsheet was made for an older version of Inventor.  Could someone corrrect this so it will work with Inventor 2011.

Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
RayNeudorf
in reply to: karthur1

The format of A1 has changed a bit. The contents of A1 are to be as follows:

I    Inch
M  mm
T   Taper
N   Internal only
X   External only
P   Pitch in column E
Q   TPI in column E

Regarding the two attached files:

Thread.xls is a newer version of the Inventor thread file,I think version 2011.

Stub-Acme-Only.xls is how I did some custom stub acme threads, I just removed all of the other sheets.

The samples should guide you toward how the sheets need to be setup. As you are already have the data in neat columns it should only be a matter of copying across.

Message 3 of 33
udayag

Please test this before using in production...

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 4 of 33
karthur1
in reply to: udayag

Udaya,

Thank you for this.  I am sure it will help others as well.  I did see some errors in the xls file.  These errors are persistent from 1.125 to 4.00. I have attached a corrected file below.

Edited (7/10/23):  Attachment now includes ACME Sizes up to 8.5" diameter.

Thanks again.

Kirk

2011-06-01_0728.png

Message 5 of 33
udayag

You are right. All non-intergral sizes between 1.125 and 4 appear to have incorrect thread designtaion values. Thanks for spotting this. 

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 6 of 33
laurapahde
in reply to: udayag

Im new here, and i tried to copy/paste the file, but it doesnt let me do it, something about administrator permissions, can someone please help me??

Message 7 of 33
karthur1
in reply to: laurapahde

Laura,

Not exactly sure as to what you are doing.  Are you trying to download/copy the attachment to a folder?  Maybe you are using win7 or win8?

Close Inventor.

Download the corrected file in post 4 of this thread to your downloads folder. 

Then, make a copy of the file C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Design Data\XLS\en-US\Thread.xls (just in case you need it later)

Open the original Thread.xls and also the Acme Threads.xls

In the Acme Threads.xls, right-click on the ACME Threads tab, select "Move or Copy".  In the "To Book" drop-down, choose "Thread.xls". Also in the "before Sheet" drop-down, choose the very last one..."move to end" and click OK.

Now you should have a new tab in the thread.xls.

Save and close this file.

Back in Inventor when you place a thread, you should now see this ACME Thread entry.

Post back if you are still having trouble.

Kirk

Message 8 of 33
gretchenb

OK, this worked for me, thanks... but I'm having an odd issue.

I'm adding cosmetic Acme threads to models of 31TMP adapters. Take for example, the 2x3. It's a 2" TriClamp end by 3" Male Acme threaded end.

The OD of the threaded end is 3.5", as is standard for 3" pipe. But for some reason, when I go to add the cosmetic Acme threads, it insists that the thread size should be 4". If I try to force it to the correct 3" size, I get a pop-up warning that "problems occurred while building this Thread - inappropriate thread size". And this has happened on all the adapters I've modeled so far, it wants to put a larger Acme thread size on the face than the actual pipe OD.

What's up with that?

Message 9 of 33
SBix26
in reply to: gretchenb

If you follow this link to Engineer's Edge, it shows that a 3" Stub Acme Thread has a maximum OD of 3.000".  There are also links on that page to General Purpose Acme thread charts, and they also show a max OD of 3.000.

Something is not right with your thread calculations— in this case, I think Inventor is correct.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 Update 2
Vault Basic 2016
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 10 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

Is there an updated file for the ACME threads?

Message 11 of 33
karthur1
in reply to: btsmithAGKLU

See thread 4 above.  I have since updated it to include 6 to 8.5in threads.  What size are you looking for?

Message 12 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

3/4 - 6 and is there a location to export the file to so i can get it in the program?

Message 13 of 33
karthur1

No place to export/import.  What you have to do is copy the "ACME threads" tab that is in the Thread-ACME.xls and past this into the Threads.xls file that you are using.  3/4-6 is included in this spreadsheet.

Look at post 7 above.  It explains how to do it.  You first have to make sure which Thread.xls file you are actually using.  There may be more than one of them on your system.

Kirk 

Message 14 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

I also have 2017 so i'm not sure if it will work or not. I also couldn't find one of the files to follow for the chart.

Message 15 of 33
karthur1

It will work in 2017.  Did you find your threads.xls file?

Message 16 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

No i did not.

Message 17 of 33
karthur1

Since you are using 2017, it should be here.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2017\Design Data\XLS\en-US\Thread.xls

Message 18 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

Ok i found it i just have to get the office programs to update the excel sheet. Now how do you copy and past the threads from one to the other? I have little experience in excel.

Message 19 of 33
karthur1

Look at post #7 above.

Message 20 of 33
btsmithAGKLU

I was finally able to get to the project with the ACME threads and after doing everything with excel it works great!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report