Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few (hopefully simple)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sphys
490 Views, 6 Replies

A few (hopefully simple)

Hi there!
I got a few questions:

My problem is getting a tube in between two flanges:

I did use a mate-mate constraint with offset 60 mm to get both flanges 60mm apart with the correct orientation and another mate-mate constraint to align the axis so that they're properly aligned (correct distance, both holes aligned, right faces facing each other). I did cut out the hole by selecting a shape (I drew some new lines and used the existing sides) and revolving it, the smaller flange having a 6mm deep reception for the tube, the larger a 10mm deep.

Now comes the tricky part:
I'd like the tube to connect these two parts.
The tube is 60mm+10mm+6mm long, has an outer diameter of 38mm and an inner diameter of 35mm. So I created a part with these dimensions and used an "Assemble-Insert" to fit it into the hole of the bigger flange. That worked fine, but:

• Is there a way to do this better? Especially, can I have the length been driven by the distance between both flanges (which is what I'm interested in, the tube only has to fit)?

Also it seems like there is a small gap between the tube and the receptacle the smaller flange (check drawing) and the tube being pushed a little bit too far into the larger flange.

• I had the idea of using a mate-mate constraint on one end of the tube and the receiving "step" in the flange, but I can't get in there (the flange is blocking the view). How can I do this?

•  And last question for now: as you can see in the drawing I added a section view of the part. However, I can move the view only up or down, thus either overlapping other views or being moved out of the sheet. How can I move it a little bit to the side?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sphys
in reply to: sphys

I don't now if part files (ipt) are automatically included in an iam file, so here are the last two missing ones:

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@sphys wrote:
  •  And last question for now: as you can see in the drawing I added a section view of the part. However, I can move the view only up or down, thus either overlapping other views or being moved out of the sheet. How can I move it a little bit to the side?

Right click on the view and select Alignment>Break

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I opened up a couple of your parts and noticed that they were not constrained and duplicate axis and workplanes not needed.

I recommend starting here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
sphys
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the PDF! That's a great find, I'm right now working through it.

Message 6 of 7
sphys

Ok, I still got a question.

When opening the assembly I select "View->Half Section View" to see where the tube doesn't quite reach the reception step.

However, when I go back to "Assemble->Assemble" to place a mate-mate constraint the section view disappears again and I can't see the gap.

How can I make the section view stick?

Message 7 of 7
SBix26

It's a secret!  You have to be a member of the club to know how to make your assembly sections stick!

Actually, it's simple, just not obvious-- after defining your section, you have to right click and select Done.  There are other things that you can do with the section in that menu, too, but there is no prompt or any other way for you to know that there is another step required.

Hint: it's always helpful to know what version of Inventor you're using.  Put it in your signature so you don't have to remember every time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report