Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cross part association has failed

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
854 Views, 11 Replies

A cross part association has failed

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the subject. Is there any easy way or at least logical way to find the referenced failure? I've just spent 1/2 an hour to find one, fix it and now it seems there may be more. Associativity ain't what it's cracked up to be. Ray
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ray, You either have to click the red text in the error message (this will highlight the problematic area in the graphics window), or expand the sketch in the browser to see the failed reference. In the browser window, you can RMB-->Expand All. I hope this helped, Best Regards, Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:40911cff$1_3@newsprd01... > I'm sure everyone is familiar with the subject. Is there any easy way or at > least logical way to find the referenced failure? I've just spent 1/2 an > hour to find one, fix it and now it seems there may be more. > Associativity ain't what it's cracked up to be. > Ray > >
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Hugh, Unfortunately the failure I'm getting right now has no red cross. The assembly has about 150 parts, some rather complex with maybe 100 to 200 features. I was hoping there might be a shortcut method that I wasn't aware of, guess not. I'm sure that the culprit will turn up eventually. Right now it's just a nuisance, not a real problem. Ray "Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:409167a4$1_2@newsprd01... > Ray, > > You either have to click the red text in the error message (this will > highlight the problematic area in the graphics window), or expand the sketch > in the browser to see the failed reference. > > In the browser window, you can RMB-->Expand All. > > I hope this helped, > > Best Regards, > > Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > news:40911cff$1_3@newsprd01... > > I'm sure everyone is familiar with the subject. Is there any easy way or > at > > least logical way to find the referenced failure? I've just spent 1/2 an > > hour to find one, fix it and now it seems there may be more. > > Associativity ain't what it's cracked up to be. > > Ray > > > > > >
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Memory is definitely failing.... Are you getting an error message in assembly, but are not sure which part is generating it? Would migrating with rebuild all log the part with the problem? Or, do you have the part with the failed association identified and can't figure out what was referenced? It shouldn't be hard to add the code to query the database for "info - parent / child". Possible with VBA? Kick and scream for v9? (Wicked Witch of the West; "I'm melting!") ================================= "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:40917c86$1_1@newsprd01... > Hugh, > Unfortunately the failure I'm getting right now has no red cross. The > assembly has about 150 parts, some rather complex with maybe 100 to 200 > features. > I was hoping there might be a shortcut method that I wasn't aware of, guess > not. I'm sure that the culprit will turn up eventually. Right now it's just > a nuisance, not a real problem. > Ray
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Jeff, Should have been more explicit (as usual for me). I get it when adding every new constraint or editing a part (update) in an assembly with sub-assemblies. Either upper level parts or parts in subs. As I said no red cross or other info available. No I haven't found the offending part yet, it's waiting for just the right time. I'm off to a design review this morning, guess when it going to pop up. No sure I understand about migrating and logging but it sounds like a possibility. Please explain migrating, from what to what? VBA? I'm totally programming illiterate! Ray "Jeff Howard" wrote in message news:40919bc6_1@newsprd01... > Memory is definitely failing.... Are you getting an error message in > assembly, but are not sure which part is generating it? Would migrating > with rebuild all log the part with the problem? Or, do you have the part > with the failed association identified and can't figure out what was > referenced? It shouldn't be hard to add the code to query the database for > "info - parent / child". Possible with VBA? Kick and scream for v9? > > (Wicked Witch of the West; "I'm melting!") > > ================================= > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > news:40917c86$1_1@newsprd01... > > Hugh, > > Unfortunately the failure I'm getting right now has no red cross. The > > assembly has about 150 parts, some rather complex with maybe 100 to 200 > > features. > > I was hoping there might be a shortcut method that I wasn't aware of, > guess > > not. I'm sure that the culprit will turn up eventually. Right now it's > just > > a nuisance, not a real problem. > > Ray > >
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

"Ray Dyson" wrote... > ........ > No sure I understand about migrating and logging > but it sounds like a possibility. Please explain migrating, > from what to what? I don't know if it will help or not, but I'd just try running the assy (backup beforehand) thru the Migration Utility and see if it will issue an error in the log to pinpoint the troubled part. Almost as good as a message window..... > VBA? I'm totally programming illiterate! Me, too. It was posed in the hope someone that isn't will comment. The ability to query and trace dependancies is, imo, a pretty basic necessity for more demanding, and nice for more casual, use of a parametric system. I'd hope they are working on it for future release. =========================================
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Ray, I think Jeff was referring to the migration utility. It migrates files and logs if threre were any problems. Go to Start, Programs, Inventor 8, Tools, Migration Utility. There is a setting for a total rebuild. The report may list which part has the failing cross-part association in the migration utility log file. Keep us posted. Best regards, Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:409234df_1@newsprd01... > Jeff, > Should have been more explicit (as usual for me). > I get it when adding every new constraint or editing a part (update) in an > assembly with sub-assemblies. Either upper level parts or parts in subs. As > I said no red cross or other info available. > No I haven't found the offending part yet, it's waiting for just the right > time. I'm off to a design review this morning, guess when it going to pop > up. > No sure I understand about migrating and logging but it sounds like a > possibility. Please explain migrating, from what to what? > VBA? I'm totally programming illiterate! > Ray > > "Jeff Howard" wrote in message > news:40919bc6_1@newsprd01... > > Memory is definitely failing.... Are you getting an error message in > > assembly, but are not sure which part is generating it? Would migrating > > with rebuild all log the part with the problem? Or, do you have the part > > with the failed association identified and can't figure out what was > > referenced? It shouldn't be hard to add the code to query the database > for > > "info - parent / child". Possible with VBA? Kick and scream for v9? > > > > (Wicked Witch of the West; "I'm melting!") > > > > ================================= > > > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > > news:40917c86$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Hugh, > > > Unfortunately the failure I'm getting right now has no red cross. The > > > assembly has about 150 parts, some rather complex with maybe 100 to 200 > > > features. > > > I was hoping there might be a shortcut method that I wasn't aware of, > > guess > > > not. I'm sure that the culprit will turn up eventually. Right now it's > > just > > > a nuisance, not a real problem. > > > Ray > > > > > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Hugh and Jeff, Having never migrated a project (mine never last long enough to span a release) I would never have thought of using the migration utility to look for errors. Unfortunately, it didn't find any of importance. When I opened my assembly the last time and changed an angle constraint (known mode to cause the error message) I did get a red cross, followed the bouncing ball and the assembly now seems to be fixed. Thanks for your time and bother, and for those anxiously awaiting word, the design review went well this morning. Ray "Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:409278d4$1_2@newsprd01... > Ray, > > I think Jeff was referring to the migration utility. It migrates files > and logs if threre were any problems. Go to Start, Programs, Inventor 8, > Tools, Migration Utility. There is a setting for a total rebuild. The > report may list which part has the failing cross-part association in the > migration utility log file. > > Keep us posted. > > Best regards, > > Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) > > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message news:409234df_1@newsprd01... > > Jeff, > > Should have been more explicit (as usual for me). > > I get it when adding every new constraint or editing a part (update) in an > > assembly with sub-assemblies. Either upper level parts or parts in subs. > As > > I said no red cross or other info available. > > No I haven't found the offending part yet, it's waiting for just the right > > time. I'm off to a design review this morning, guess when it going to pop > > up. > > No sure I understand about migrating and logging but it sounds like a > > possibility. Please explain migrating, from what to what? > > VBA? I'm totally programming illiterate! > > Ray > > > > "Jeff Howard" wrote in message > > news:40919bc6_1@newsprd01... > > > Memory is definitely failing.... Are you getting an error message in > > > assembly, but are not sure which part is generating it? Would migrating > > > with rebuild all log the part with the problem? Or, do you have the > part > > > with the failed association identified and can't figure out what was > > > referenced? It shouldn't be hard to add the code to query the database > > for > > > "info - parent / child". Possible with VBA? Kick and scream for v9? > > > > > > (Wicked Witch of the West; "I'm melting!") > > > > > > ================================= > > > > > > "Ray Dyson" wrote in message > > > news:40917c86$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Hugh, > > > > Unfortunately the failure I'm getting right now has no red cross. The > > > > assembly has about 150 parts, some rather complex with maybe 100 to > 200 > > > > features. > > > > I was hoping there might be a shortcut method that I wasn't aware of, > > > guess > > > > not. I'm sure that the culprit will turn up eventually. Right now it's > > > just > > > > a nuisance, not a real problem. > > > > Ray > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Good deal on both counts and a good weekend, as well. 8~) ========================== "Ray Dyson" ... > ...................... > When I opened my assembly the last time and > changed an angle constraint (known mode to > cause the error message) I did get a red cross, followed > the bouncing ball and the assembly now seems to be fixed. > Thanks for your time and bother, and for those anxiously > awaiting word, the design review went well this morning.
Message 10 of 12
Patrickwesc

Expand all would work if the part had no associativity.  Once again Inventor showing the lack of this softwares ability for in context design.  Quit trying to claim this is something inventor is good at.  Inventor = Drafting as builts.  If you need to design something, this is not the software to buy.  Once again I'm floored by how long it takes to do the simplest of tasks in this Google sketchup wannabe software.  Please just tell people to buy the competitions software when it comes to design.  Save everyone some grief please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

P.S.  If you are an engineering firm looking for software, I would buy nothing but Inventor.  Why you ask?  Because you can make a lot of money charging out by the hour.  Trust me, nothing is quick in Inventor, and your clients could even stand there and watch and they would see the time it takes. PERFECT.

*&^$% (O&*^&*(  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 11 of 12
MikahB
in reply to: Patrickwesc

Nice bump and rant on a decade-old thread, Patrick. Your thoughts are as timely as they are helpful.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 12 of 12
Patrickwesc
in reply to: MikahB

Just like this forum................Dated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report