Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 sided piramid - inventor newbie

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jalfmendonca
617 Views, 11 Replies

5 sided piramid - inventor newbie

Hello everyone...

I´m quite new to the inventor world and each day I use I hate more and more.

Let´s see if you guys can help me...

I have to draw a 3D five sided piramid. Let´s say it is composed of 5 equal triangles. Those triangles have 2 equal sides measuring 2.5 (insert unit here) with a base of 1.5 (insert unit here).

The workflow I am currently using to build this piece is:

a. Draw triangle in a part file.

b. Start a new assembly

c. Insert 5 copies of the triangle.

d. Constrain 1 point from one base to another until I have something that looks like this:

triangles

e. I start to constrain the top points to each other, until I have this:

pentagon_almost

The problem is that the last point will not close to become a piramid! How can I make this work????

Any light on this would be really welcome and maybe make me like this program at least a little bit!

Best regards,

Joao.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jalfmendonca

Hi! It is possible there are some pre-existing constraints on the sketch blocking the coincident constraint from being created. Could you post the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 12
jalfmendonca
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Here we go!

Message 4 of 12
jletcher

I cannot open your part but my guess would be the math in the length of your lines. Not sure why you need this method but I would start like this to get the dimension right.

If you are .002 off it will error on you...

Look at this and use the true length to build single triangles..

this 1.JPG

Message 5 of 12
jalfmendonca
in reply to: jletcher

James,

That is more or less what I need to do... I took the dimensions for my triangles from a part of a project that I am working on and imported from a dwg file.

The real triangle I am working with is attached.

What workflow did you use to get to this shape?

Regards,

Joao

Message 6 of 12
graemev

Your sketch has almost no constraints whatsoever, let alone dimensions.  This is like trying to frame a house using only glue, sawdust, and a hammer - you could do it, but it will be painful and you won't like the results.  I STRONGLY advise you to go through the tutorials before continuing.  If you continue on in your current fashion, you will definitely continue to hate Inventor.

Message 7 of 12
jletcher

Tak a look at this it worked fine for me.

Do you have the 1st one grounded? If so unground it. It may have to move.

Message 8 of 12
jletcher

I drew a 5 side polygon then offset a plane up from it. Started a sketch on the plane to get the dot. Then I did a 3D sketch with autobend off and drew the rest of the lines..

Message 9 of 12

Message 10 of 12
rdyson

A bit simplier way

Create 2 sketches:

Capture1.JPG

Loft to Point:

Capture2.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 12
IgorMir

Hi Joao,

I am not sure on your final design attempt but if you want to build a five sided pyramid - here is one for you. In a sheet metal.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 12 of 12
WHolzwarth
in reply to: IgorMir

As can be seen, there are many possible solutions for a 5-sided pyramid. All are based on a 5-edged base, but are differing in height. But one condition is needed for all of them: The top angle of the face triangle must be smaller than 72° (= 360° / 5).

Joao's file Triangulo A.ipt follows this condition (Top angle=71.51°), and with this triangle, only one rather flat pyramide can be done. See files.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report