Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D pdf files

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
cparnell
1689 Views, 29 Replies

3D pdf files

I have searched this forum for a way to create 3D pdf files directly from Inventor or other "free" software but have not found anything that works very well. Today I found an answer, it is by using the Bentley Viewer.  I had to "Save Copy As" my Inventor .iam file to "AutoCAD DWG Files.dwg". Then open it up inside the Bentley Viewer, go to the "Print pdf" button and select the "Print to 3D" button. It will even show some colors.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
cparnell
in reply to: stephengibson76

DWFx.

Thank you, you just made one of my points. Some companies that DWFx files are sent to, the employees are not allowed to down load anything from the internet. Acrobat is on virtually every PC out there allready.

Message 22 of 30
SeanFarr
in reply to: cparnell

I tired in Firefox and it would not open, didn't try chrome, but DWFx do open in Internet Explorer

When you save your assembly, are you saving as DWF or DWFx?? For the browser to open it, I think it has to be the one with the x on the end.

As Stephan said, ALL computers come with IE, once you open the DWFx in IE, it gives you options like you would have in Design Review.

Not sure how well this is known, but it is quite handy for people who can't install 3rd party software.

Here is a short video of how I can open one up: http://screencast.com/t/KT7GOhdf3nE

Good Luck!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 23 of 30
karthur1

@cparnell wrote:

DWFx.

Thank you, you just made one of my points. Some companies that DWFx files are sent to, the employees are not allowed to down load anything from the internet. Acrobat is on virtually every PC out there allready.

That has been my point for a couple years now.

I have already been down this path. I have customers that I need to send files to and they can't just go install some software from the net.  There is some discussion here and here. For now, I have given up on DWF as far as sending it to my customers.

I have tried opening DWFx files from IE with mixed success. I can never get the DWFx to open in IE unless Inventor is installed on them.  I "think" that the problem of not being able to open them in IE is because the computer OS was not Vista or later.  Even though it was running IE version 8, the OS was the trouble.

The guys at AD say that you can open DWFx from IE.  You probably can with the latest OS (win7 or 😎 and IE v8.

If you have Autodesk Publisher, you can open your Inventor model and create a 3D PDF from there.

Message 24 of 30
tsreagan

"the employees are not allowed to down load anything from the internet."

Hmmm.  Isn't that what system admins are for.

"Acrobat is on virtually every PC out there already."

Acrobat was not on every PC in the past,  push the issue, and every PC will have the ability to read dwfx's, it doesn't happen overnight.  Plus Acrobat is a grievous security risk, and forces their up-daters down your throat.

The community needs to communicate the benefits of alternative viewers to their end users and clients who don't have the latest version of windows.

T.S.

Message 25 of 30
swhite
in reply to: tsreagan

Agreed!!!

Besides, since the dwf viewr is free from autodesk, I am sure they wouldn't mind you sending a copy to your work collaborators so they don't need to download anything. And any company that wont let at least a manager download a program that will aid the company, is a company not worth working for. The employees don't need to do anything, the manager themselves should do it, or the IT department and then install it on every computer. I am sure the IT department is allowed to download program updates from the internet to upgrade programs. Such a simple little step it is to download and install autodesks free viewer. Free, just like acrobat that now comes with every version of operating software, but used to be required to be downloaded. As tsreagan said, if it's not demanded, it won't get included.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 26 of 30
karthur1

@tsreagan wrote:

"the employees are not allowed to down load anything from the internet."

Hmmm.  Isn't that what system admins are for.

Can't, won't, too lazy, don't want to try..... I dont know what there problem is.  I just know that when I send a customer a DWF(x) file and they cant open it, I get a email or a phone call.  I can explain to them that its a free d/l and it works great.  There next question is "Can you just send me a PDF".  So I just send them a PDF and thats the end of it.  So now instead of going through this everytime I send out a drawing, I just PDF it.  Saves me time, saves them time.

I wish everyone would use DWF, but the fact of the matter is they dont and they are not going to.

Message 27 of 30
dgorsman

Indeed.  If the software is required by the users, then it gets installed.  If you can't readily get 3D PDF from Inventor but you can get DWF, there's your business case for deploying Design Review right there.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 28 of 30
tsreagan
in reply to: karthur1

Yes,  we have definately grown into creatures of extreme convinience.

I have been able to convince a few companies to download and use it,  so the cause is not completely hopeless.

Persistence over time will hopefully equal results. 

Or we wait untill it is completely native in a version of windows that is used by the majority.

T.S.

Message 29 of 30
swhite

About the only solution one can offer:

http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/

And even from non-Inventor programs.

http://usa.autodesk.com/dwf-writer/?preview=1

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 30 of 30
DWhiteley
in reply to: swhite

3D PDFs from Inventor for free.

Take a look at this:-

http://envisageuk.blogspot.co.uk/

No colors yet - but apparently it's coming.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report