Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D lines to surface to solid

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DanMac123
748 Views, 2 Replies

3D lines to surface to solid

I am trying to create a complicated 3d celtic weave patern and turn it into a ring i.e bend it 360 degrees.

First step is I can't work out how to turn some 3d lines I have created into a surface, then a solid.

after working this out, how do I then emboss a celtic weave straight (think an almost flat plait that has bumps in it) to a surface onto a sphere?  or just bend it 360 degrees?

cheers,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: DanMac123

I did not take the time to try to really fix this, but when Sketch1 and 2 are fixed, the file should look something like attached.

You are missing Tangent constraints in Sketch1 and I think a Colinear in Sketch2 (why 2 lines where 1 would do the job?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
DanMac123
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your reply JD,

I've been using inventor 2014 for 6 months and have just moved to 2015.

I have created a weave pattern that will weave in and out of multiple versions of itself.  Ideally I would like to make my 3d solid wrap around a sphere into a ring shape.  

any Ideas on how to do that?  the last sketch is the spacings required.

I have attached my ipt, I have fixed my constraints or so I believe.  If you drop EOP to the bottom you can see what I have made.  It was quite tedious since I used 3d sketch to create intersection curves and then use 3d lines to create sections in my part to then patch individually and then sculpt into a solid because I couldn't seem to beable to do it in one go.

This took a rather long time.  

Q1. Is there an easier way ?

Q2.  how do I then wrap multiple spaced replicas of this around a sphere to create a ring?

p.s.  the whole point of this project is to 3d print a mold to create an easy path for two strands side by side to fit in the mold.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report