Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
Lhann
Message 11 of 13 (315 Views)

Re: 2D sketching with Inventor 2014

02-19-2014 08:41 AM in reply to: gsmith9810

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments  here is a summary:

My original question: Does Inventor 2014 provide a more user friendly UI when it comes to 2D sketching?
> The goal, use one CAD tool to create both 2D and 3D drawings and avoid having to pass DWG file back and forth between AutoCAD when creating 2D drawings.

> The benefit of using only Inventor: configure, train and maintain a single software tool and our ERP system is Integrated with Inventor.

Sounds like Inventor has the 2D drawing capabilities it just requires using the correct techniques and training.

(Training resources for these techniques seem to be limited.)

Continue creating sketches in AutoCAD.

(I might need to do this but I am hoping a single CAD tool can do both.)

FYI:
The application I am looking at is for certain labels that we create.

They are peel-offs that are placed inside a large control box door to indicate breaker locations and rarely require updating.

When this group creates new labels that are similar they typically create the new label from the old and make modifications.

The CAD user believes they can create this 2D drawing many times faster with Autocad but must copy the AutoCad DWG into an Inventor drawing in order to check the drawing into our ERP system.

(This happens because our ERP system only has integration with Inventor and not Autocad)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 12 of 13 (313 Views)

02-19-2014 08:48 AM in reply to: Lhann

Lhann wrote:

The CAD user believes they can create this 2D drawing many times faster with Autocad ...

I am quite sure they are right - they can create it faster in AutoCAD - because this is where their experience is.

I (and I suspect most users here) went through the same frustration moving from AutoCAD to Inventor (at least now Inventor has direct distance entry, back when I started with Inventor it did not).

Some can eventually get over the frustration hurdles and pick up the new techniques, but in my experience many who are very experienced in a known technique can never leap the hurdles without someone experienced showing them the way.  And a few never "get it".

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
PaulMunford
Message 13 of 13 (259 Views)

02-24-2014 12:44 AM in reply to: Lhann

2D drawings are quicker to create in AutoCAD because you don't have to worry about parameterics or constraints. Sketches in Inventor are used to define parameteric relationships - not for creating drawings.

There should be no barrier to using the right tool for the job.

Here's my suggestion - and it depends weather you want an Inventor sketch in model space, or a drawing in a DWG file:

Drawing:

Create your DWG files in Inventor as usual. Open them in AutoCAD, draw your 2D design. Close it and open it up again in Inventor to check it into your ERP system. This version is meant to be plotted and will have lineweights preserved.

Sketch:

Create your DWG files in Inventor as usual. Create your 2D geometry in AutoCAD and save it as a block. Open the Part file in Inventor, create a sketch and copy the AutoCAD block in as an Inventor block. This version is meant for geometry only - so it could be used for emobossing for example.

Is this helpful?

The CAD Setter Out Blog @CadSetterOut

Inventor Surfacing | AutoCAD | CAD Standards

Please use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos functions - Thank you!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube