Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014: trouble with sheet metal contour roll flange

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Allen_Hart
1337 Views, 8 Replies

2014: trouble with sheet metal contour roll flange

Trying to add a contour roll flange to the top/curved edge of a panel. When there is no flat pattern already made, the flange will attach/create as expected but the panel will not flatten.  When a flat pattern of the base panel is already made, Inventor will not add the contour flange. I can't win.  How do I get a flat pattern with this flange on top?  Also, how do I add corner seams at each end?

thanks,

Allen

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: Allen_Hart

Can you post a screen shot..

Message 3 of 9
Allen_Hart
in reply to: jletcher

Here are a couple screen shots.  Hope they help.

Thanks for looking.

Allen

Message 4 of 9
jletcher

Did you do the face and contour flange together or did you do the face then a contour flange?

Message 5 of 9
Allen_Hart

I had to make the face and side flanges together as a single feature. It's a thickened surface.  Now I want to add the flange on top.

Message 6 of 9
jletcher

The thickened could be the issue but to be honest hard for me to say without opening and I have not installed 2014 yet.

Why did you use  thickened?

Message 7 of 9
jletcher

Also I don't see how you can make the part in real life unless you plan on stamping..

That flange would have to be welded on..

Message 8 of 9
Allen_Hart

Since the radius is so large (over 50 feet) we actually can fabricate this part with the flange already on it.  The flange won't buckle enough to matter.

We use thickened surface because it's so much easier.  Especially making curved panels with returns on the sides.  You cannot just add a flange feature to the edge of curved sheet.  This particular panel is also tapered on the bottom edge, which you can't see in the screen shots.  The ONLY way to get a proper flat pattern of this is to use thicken.

Thanks for looking,

Allen

Message 9 of 9
jletcher

Ok I see but I don't think inventor can unfold because it really can't be made by their standards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report