Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Paste Function not working properly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
karthur1
726 Views, 7 Replies

2014 Paste Function not working properly

When I paste an item in the assembly, the item is thrown off in space.  It places it so far away that it is not even in the view window.  I have to stop what I doing, do a find in window and then drag it close to where I need it.  Then I can start constraining it.

VERY FRUSTRATING.  

Why does it not place the item at my coursor location like it used to?  

I am using SP1.

Kirk

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Desam
in reply to: karthur1

Hi,

Pastes about part origin not centroid/center of mass.  Nice isn't it especially for skeletal moddelling. Has done so for me since 2014 was originally installed.  Also cut didnt work either - just deleted part and nothing happens when paste is pressed.

I have learned to use place instead where part origin is not used as insertion point.  Only problem with this is that previous part orientation is not picked up.

regards,

Hugh

Message 3 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: Desam

What I am talking about is when I copy an object while in an assembly (CTRL+C) then paste it (CTRL+V).  I can never second guess where it is going to place it.

Message 4 of 8
Desam

I think you will find we are both talking about the same thing?  Any part placed in 2014 Pastes instances offset from where you click by the distance/vector to the parts origin wheras previous versions of Inventor pasted part instances about the center of the body.  If you create a part centered on its own origin I think you will find it will cut/paste predictably in 2014.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Hugh

Message 5 of 8
karthur1

Hugh,

I did some testing and I see now what you are saying. Many of my sub-assemblies are built by selecting the parts that are in an assembly and then "Demoting" them to an assembly.  When I do that, the origin for the new sub-assembly is taken from the location of the original assembly. Now when I paste this new sub into another assembly using 2014, its not pasted where I expect it to be.

If I do a "Place Component", and place the new sub-assembly, it uses a totally different location for the insertion point.  It is neither the origin or the centroid, but rather some place in between.

Using the origin as the insertion point is something new for 2014.  I like the new feature in 2014 where the assembly constraints are retained when I copy/paste items that are constrained within an assembly, but I do NOT like using the origin as the insertion point.  I had rather use the centroid.

In this video, I first place a sub-assy using copy/paste.  I have the origin of the sub turned on, so I can see the origin. Notice that when the part is pasted, it places the origin at the location of the cursor.  Next, I place the same component using the "Place Component" command,  Notice that it places the subassembly somewhere between the centroid and the origin marker.

Where is the consistency????

Kirk

Message 6 of 8
Desam

Hi Kirk,

You might be able to 'unground' the grounded part(s) in your subassemblies and then mate the origin and the freed up parts so that further copy & paste operations work better?  Sorry if this is not clear - explanations are not my strong suite!

Hugh

Message 7 of 8
Desam

Hi Kirk,

After looking at your video I think that the placed sub assemblies are located using the 'centroid' of the origin dot and the parts themselves ie the center of the visible components.  It is not some arbitary point.

Hugh

Message 8 of 8
karthur1

Hugh,

That is what I am doing now.  After I make the subassy, I have to unground the first component, then I use the "Ground and Root Component" Productivity tool to constraint the first component at the origin.  It's just a pain to have to do that just so that I know where its going when I place it later.

Wish there was a application option to select whether it places them using the origin method or centroid method.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report