Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 to 2014 migration: missing files

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
graemev
1228 Views, 29 Replies

2013 to 2014 migration: missing files

We've finally nibbled the bullet and upgraded to 2014.  I'm getting errors in the Task Scheduler logs about missing files in various projects.  It would appear that (almost) without exception, the failed files are all Content Center parts that were inserted as custom parts.  Do I need to run a migration on the Content Center parts (Inventor/ContentCenter Files/R2013/en-US) in order for the custom parts to migrate properly?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
CCarreiras
in reply to: graemev

Hi!

...supposedly no,  being a custom part  should be considered a normal part and therefore migrate as others. Reports it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 30
blair
in reply to: CCarreiras

Sometimes CC parts get saved to directories outside of the Project work directory or main directory and don't get migrated.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 30
graemev
in reply to: blair

Yep.  They're in the path listed above.  When I open an old assembly, it know's what it's looking for, and when it asks for the location of the missing file the correct folder is open with the part name it's looking for listed in the field, but when I click on the part (same name, R2013 folder) I get a warning that the folder isn't in the current project.  I am apparently unable to add the old path to the project file.  (Or I'm trying to add it in the wrong spot.)

I vaguely recall having this kind of problem on the last upgrade but can't recall the "easy" solution.

Message 5 of 30
blair

I think you need to create a new Project File with all the directories.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 30
graemev

As the default, or for every old project?

Message 7 of 30
blair

Just the ones giving you problems.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 30
graemev

Ok, so call me dense but I think I'm going to need a little bit of spoon-feeding on this one.

I can't seem to modify the current project to include the old 2013 content folder, nor a new copy in the 2014 folder, nor get things to stay put once the offending parts have been located manually.  I have the proverbial metric crapton of old projects to go through if I have to do this manually for each one.

I've tried making a project for the updated parts (copied and migrated into the 2014 folder) and including that project in the old one to no avail, though I may be building that project in the wrong folder to begin with.

Message 9 of 30
blair

You need to create a new project.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 30
graemev

Yup.  Still won't automatically find the parts.

Message 11 of 30
blair

Odd, it should find all parts withing the scope of the Project FIle.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 30
graemev

Yes.  Yes it should.  {sigh}

Hypothetically speaking... If I were to modify the project, where might I be trying to add the path(s) to the existing parts?

Message 13 of 30
blair

Check your: Libraries>Documents>Inventor

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 30
graemev

You mean adding a path in the project's Libraries section?  Tried that: no joy regardless of which folder (even to the folder the specific part is in) is picked.

BTW, SP1 has been applied.

Message 15 of 30
blair

Truly odd, are they in a folder that's designated as a Library folder in your current Project?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 30
graemev

No originally, and not currently, but even when I do it still won't pick them up.  I can manually select them, and the model then opens with the components in place.  I get warned about the selected components not being in a project folder.  Even with a fresh save the problem persists when the assembly is reopened.

I feel I'm missing something simple and basic.  Maybe a few screen snippets of what I'm attempting would be handy?

Message 17 of 30
blair

This is your problem: "I get warned about the selected components not being in a project folder". If they are not in the Project Folder, they will not get migrated, as the are outside of the scope of the Project. You are using the Project to tell the Scheduler which files to migrate. It will only migrate files inside of the scope of the Project.

You need to create a new Project File that includes these directories where the "missing" files are located.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 30
graemev

"If they are not in the Project Folder, they will not get migrated, as the are outside of the scope of the Project."

Well...  I manually migrated those files in the Content Center folder.  If the files were properly tied in using the previous release, why would the link to those files (which the project must have been able to find previously) not update along with the rest of the project?  I would expect that the link would be retained in the project file and that I might get a warning about the parts getting migrated to the new release on the next save.

(That's more of a developer/programmer question there, really.)

I'm not worried about it balking, I just need some kind of workaround that doesn't involve going back through every project I have and trying to figure out where all the CC originating custom parts are supposed to go.  (Yikes!)

Message 19 of 30
blair

You can always run the Mirgration, and then scroll through the log for un-migrated items and manually migrate them. It might also provide an insight to where some of the parts outside of the Project FIle reside. Might help in the creation of a new Project file that covers all the directories.

Or it gives you a change to reorganize your directory structure.

Smiley Happy

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 30
graemev

Perhaps it begs the question: where in the project file do I add in the path, and will it be recursive for all of the individual CC part folders thereunder?

Per the image below, the "Look in" field is pointing to the Content Center/R2013/en-US/ASME B18.21.1(10) folder.  If I reselect the part already in the "File name" field, it will pull the correct part in.  I have to do this for each unique part, though fortunately not each instance.  Upon save, it forgets the resolved links - no warning, but for when loading the part that it's not in the project's search path.

I'm quite sure I have no idea how to include a mitt-full of CC part folders when creating a new project, and don't seem to be able to get them included in the existing one.

Oy!

Resolve link.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report