Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Texture Mapping/Rendering Issue

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
arnie.martin
3718 Views, 2 Replies

2013 Texture Mapping/Rendering Issue

I think this is a known issue and I have scoured the boards looking for a solution but I have not found one, so here goes: This applies to Inventor 2013 appearances, visual styles, and rednering options.

When I create a custom Appearance and assign an image map to the appearance several problematic things happen depending on which visual style is active. For example if I create a plywood material with an appropriate texture map and view it in shaded style the texture breaks in the middle of a square surface with an undesireable tiling effect. This is easily solved by switching to realistic style and either moving the texture map an appropriate distance in the style editor or using the new texture manipulator tool to do the same. This is detailed in this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Textur-Manipulators-XY-Manipulation/m-p/3531094/high..., and achieves the desired effect but ONLY when viewed in realistic mode.

The real problem begins when I want to render using inventor studio. Apparently inventor studio defaults to shaded mode instead of realistic mode and ignores any and all texture manipulation when rendering an image, in fact in the render options "realistic" is not an option, only shaded and illustration. The three attachments illustrate the problem. Realistic shows the desired effect, shaded shows the lack of control in the default shaded visual style, and rendered shows the rendering engine's preference for the problems of the shaded mode as opposed to the more desireable realistic mode. Am I missing something here? Is there a setting that will allow me to force the rendering engine to use the texture transforms from the realistic visual style when making a rendering?

I have several possible solutions to this, none of which I like. First is to use decals in the parts which give a lot more control on large surfaces like the square of my panel. But decals seem to ignore the other advantages of appearance styles like reflectivity etc. The second is to ray trace a realistic image in the normal viewport (not using stuio) and export it to a tff file or some other uncompressed format but this lacks the extra control that studio gives you when rendering an image such as lighting and scene styles, camera controls, etc and it is limited to your viewport resolution. Has anyone had a similar issue or found a better solution? It seems to me that the rendering engine isn't up to par with the more robust features of the visual styles, and apperances. With the introduction of "Showcase" in the product design suite it appears autodesk is pushing realistic rendering into another (and also expensive) piece of software, but c'mon shouldn't inventor be able to render parts and assemblies with even basic control over texture maps? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Arnie

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mpatchus
in reply to: arnie.martin

There are a couple of decent tiiling programs out there that can generate nearly seamless images for use as materials in Inventor.

I've had pretty good success with Wood Workshop which is put out by Sprial Graphics. 

set1 - Copy.jpg

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 3
arnie.martin
in reply to: mpatchus

Wow, nice rendering, and I will look into the software you mentioned, but it still seems as though there should be a way to position higher res texture maps on part faces without using decals or seamless textures. The functionality is there with all of the position options avilable in the appearance editor but they only apply in one visual style and not in a rendered image. Very frustrating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report