Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
Q-Bixx
Message 11 of 20 (285 Views)

Re: 2013 SP1 - Still problems with appearances

10-19-2012 02:54 AM in reply to: djreesing

I'm close to a nervous breakdown from this new Material Library concept. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i've tried everything.

Materials and Appearances

Above you can find a small video of my attempt in to making a new custom part.

Maybe a should clarify what i'm "trying" to do ... i want to add in my custom library both Physical and Apperance asset of a Custom Material.

In this case i start from Iron Cast and create 2 ones : GG 20 and GG 25 both with their own unique Physical and Appearance Asset (For GG 20 this should be "GG 20 - App" and "GG 20 - Phy")

Please comment on what i am doing wrong ... *sigh*

Valued Contributor
streharg
Message 12 of 20 (233 Views)

11-26-2012 02:19 AM in reply to: Q-Bixx

Can you post video somewhere else, i can't see it.

Greg

Factory design suite 2013 premium
Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
:smileyhappy:
Contributor
Q-Bixx
Message 13 of 20 (228 Views)

11-26-2012 02:27 AM in reply to: streharg
Valued Contributor
streharg
Message 14 of 20 (213 Views)

11-26-2012 04:04 AM in reply to: Q-Bixx

Video works now, thnx.

First, make sure you have SP1.1 installed!!

I noticed you already created library, but it's empty. Why not try to create it from scratch in inventor again?

Then, when you copied materials, what did you do with generic material? Just leave it as it is. You copied new materials to library, that's it. What stays in .ipt part, doesn't matter, leave it.

All you have to do, is assign material to .ipt, duplicate it, edit it, and right click, and add it to your library. Then, close down inventor, navigate to your library file, right click, mark it as read only in windows, then open any part again and test if your library works(should be locked and read only now).

But i'm not sure where did properties for iron (1) go...it should be right in you custom library with GG 20.

Defenitely you have some wierd things going on.

Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
Valued Contributor
streharg
Message 15 of 20 (204 Views)

11-26-2012 04:35 AM in reply to: streharg

Maybe try this:

When you add material to document, duplicate it, then rename it. After that, edit it, and rename assest also!

Then add edited material to your (create a new one!) library. You can save document (remember, create one empty .ipt just for editing your library!). And close down open document.

Then navigate to library file in windows, mark it as read only, then open your library ipt again, and check out your library.

There's more information here:
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1443-Materia...

If nothing works, not even sp1.1, then you should reconsider to reinstall inventor completely. Or if somebody else have better idea.

Greg

Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
Valued Contributor
streharg
Message 16 of 20 (178 Views)

11-27-2012 01:25 AM in reply to: streharg

So i did some more testing.

We use network project file, that actually works quite ok. And so, libraries work ok, and everything else.

But then i created new project file, and tried to add/edit libraries, and just got the same problems. Can't add library to the project file, and just got all of the problems you have. Inventor won't read not even inventor library. So it looks like new Inventor is very allergic to project files (why?!). But what's wrong i just don't know and can't figure it out. I need new project file, but now i know i can't use it, because i can't add my custom library!

Rubbish!!!

:smileymad:

Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 17 of 20 (169 Views)

11-27-2012 05:15 AM in reply to: streharg

streharg wrote:

.... Can't add library to the project file, and just got all of the problems you have. Inventor won't read not even inventor library....

:smileymad:

I dont have a problem with it reading the Inventor Library, but sometimes it wont read my custom library.  I have tried closing and restarting Inventor after I change projects, but it still wont read it. If I hover over the name, the path is correct. As a temporary fix,  I can RMB and chose "Locate Library" and pick it again it it works until I change projects again.  Is this what you are seeing?

2012-11-27_0710.png

Why can't you add a library to your project?  Can you give some details?

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault Basic 2013

Valued Contributor
streharg
Message 18 of 20 (144 Views)

11-28-2012 01:18 AM in reply to: karthur1

So, our main (network) project file is somehow working ok!

But if i try to create new project file (for local use only), then things go wrong (the same with new network project file).

As in your picture, i also have autodesk appearance library, but inventor won't load inventor material library, even if it is added to the project file. And of course, i can't add my custom library. It's just saying there's no materials available. Quite weird, because i was able to add it to appearance libraries under projects (it's not working in inventor).

And then, if i close my .ipt file, which I use for editing material libray, and reopen it, then i can see both inventor and custom library, but with that yellow sign(as on your picture). Path and name are correct, but inventor won't load it. I tried RMB-locate, but still didn't work. Funny thing is, my custom library is not added to the project file under projects at all! It somehow just stays in inventor, but not in the project file.

So i think there's a lot of problems with project files using libraries, since our main project file really works ok, and libraries also! (Have to investigate what's making our main project file to work). It's not good that i can't simply create new project files for local use, that would work with libraries.

Am i doing anything wrong, or is it just buggy software again? It's all the same as for our main project file ...

Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
Valued Contributor
michael.marx
Message 19 of 20 (78 Views)

04-03-2014 05:22 AM in reply to: rangt

Hi Tom

is ther any Solution for this thumbnail problem?

I still have this is issue in Inventor 2014 SP1 Update3 now.

Steps to test

working with original Inventor Material Library in original location (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Materials\) 

open the appearance browser with a part file

make a new appearance not a duplicate

save back to inventorMaterial Library

all is fine thumbnail is there

reboot Inventor look into material library 

thumbnail is greyed out

double click to cache into document the thumbnail is there in the local cache but not in the library

Employee
maulik_patel
Message 20 of 20 (60 Views)

04-03-2014 08:04 AM in reply to: michael.marx

Hi Michael,

I am following upon the thumbnail issue which you asked Tom.

I tried the workflow you mentioned but failed to duplicate the issue. Thumbnail is always there in library for me(both in 2013 and 2014).   

For more investigation can you provide following information?

1. Can you provide the library which you were using?
  2. Is this only happens to Appearance? Or Material also behaves the same way
  3. Is the issue only with any particular type of appearance?

Thank you,

Maulik Patel

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Manufacturing Group
Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube