Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 SP1 - Still problems with appearances

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
djreesing
1003 Views, 19 Replies

2013 SP1 - Still problems with appearances

Hi,

While I was running Inventor 2013 with Update 2 and SP1 Beta installed, I recreated all my custom materials/appearances. After this all thumbnails were ok and I was finally done with this annoying bug. So I thought.....

When SP1 was released, I un-installed SP1 Beta and installed the release version (about 2 weeks ago). This morning I noticed that my thumbnails were all messed up again. I'm not sure if this was also the case just after I installed SP1, I just noticed it this morning.

I know there are still problems with SP1, so I un-installed it and went back to update 2. I even restored a backup of the material library (although it didn't change according to the 'modified' date in windows explorer). But still no thumbnails..... I re-installed SP1 beta, but this also didn't help.

I'm now back at SP1 (build 170) and I'm not sure what to do now. Is this still a known bug? will this be solved in the final release version of SP1?  How will I know that when I update the material library again my thumbnails will remain? I'm getting a bit tired of doing the same thing over and over again....

Anyone have the same problems? Or can someone give me advise on what to do?

Thanks,

Daniël Reesing

IV2013 Pro SP1 (build 170) 

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
streharg
in reply to: djreesing

You will have to wait for updated sp1 for this one.

I am also waiting, so that i can finally manage all the libraries and thumbnails.

There is also official notice from autodesk about that, but I can't find it right now.

Greg

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 3 of 20
djreesing
in reply to: streharg

Then why couldn't I get it to work again when I moved back to update 2 and restored a backup of my material library?

This is all very frustrating....

Daniël

Message 4 of 20
rangt

Daniël,

Would you be willing to share your library with us so we can look at the problem closer?  You can post it or e-mail it to me directly.  

Tom Rang
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 20
johnsonshiue

Daniël,

I am very sorry for the trouble you have gone through. Tom forwarded me the Material Library you are using. Indeed, I have verified the problem. We are still in the middle of investigating the issue. In the meantime, I suggest you make a copy of the existing library as a backup and avoid editing the Materials and Appearances for now.

Do you remember when you notice the thumbnails are missing? Are you able to turn a style with thumnail to a style with thumbnail missing?

Thank you!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 20
djreesing
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

After I recreated the material library with update 2 and SP1beta installed I had no problems, the thumbnails were fine. I noticed they were gone again about 2 weeks after I've installed the first release of SP1 (the one thats pulled now). But that was the point that I noticed, so it could well be that the problem was already present before I installed the first release of SP1. I can't really remember.

When I noticed it, all my custom materials/appearances had lost their thumbnail. So there is no custom style left to try to turn into a style without thumbnail. I restored a backup of the material library from about a week before I installed SP1 (when I was running SP1 beta). But I still didn't have any thumbnails. I will see if I can find a backup of the library from right after I recreated it.

I'm currently running the RC of SP1.1, I will wait untill the final version will be released and then I will fix my library. Hopefully it will remain this time 🙂

Thanks for all the help.

Daniël

Message 7 of 20
karthur1

Daniel,

Just curious, is the thumbnail you are missing this one?

No_Preview.jpg

I get a preview of the appearance for the local appearances, but just not the thumbnails for my custom appearances that I have put in my Library. I'm using SP1.1 also.

Message 8 of 20
djreesing
in reply to: karthur1

Yes, this is what I mean.

When you copy the styles locally and then save them back to the library the thumbnails should be fixed. I already did that when I had SP1 beta installed. But for some reason I have the same problem again.

I everything is still on track then today the final SP1.1 will be released. When I have installed it I will once again fix my library and hope that this time the thumbnails will remain.

Daniël

Message 9 of 20
rangt

I'm afraid I don't have much of an update currently.  We are still working to identify what has caused this.

Tom Rang
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 20
djreesing
in reply to: rangt

So I have SP1.1 installed now and I wanted to fix my thumbnails again. When I copy an appearance to the document the thumbnails displays in the appearance browser (see image).

browser.jpg

When I copy the appearance back to the library, it seems to be working and the thumbnail now also displays correctly in the library (see image). So far so good....

browser2.jpg

When I then look at the appearance selection drop-down menu in the main window of Inventor, there is still no thumbnail there (see image).

drop-down.jpg

So I restart Inventor to see if that has any effect. But after the restart all seems to be screwed-up again, and the thumnail in the library is lost again (see image).

browser3.jpg

I've tried completely removing the appearance from the library, so only having it in the local document. It does seems to work then and I even have the thumbnail in the drop-down list. But when I restart Inventor that drop-down list thumnail is gone again. The strange thing is that when I open and close the appearance browser (without changing anything) the drop-down thumnail is there again! That is until I restart Inventor.....

Anyone else still having problems with the material/appearance library?

I also have another problem with the units of the physical material properties, see this thread

Best regards,

Daniël

Message 11 of 20
Q-Bixx

I'm close to a nervous breakdown from this new Material Library concept. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i've tried everything.

Materials and Appearances

Above you can find a small video of my attempt in to making a new custom part.

Maybe a should clarify what i'm "trying" to do ... i want to add in my custom library both Physical and Apperance asset of a Custom Material.

In this case i start from Iron Cast and create 2 ones : GG 20 and GG 25 both with their own unique Physical and Appearance Asset (For GG 20 this should be "GG 20 - App" and "GG 20 - Phy")

Please comment on what i am doing wrong ... *sigh*

Message 12 of 20
streharg
in reply to: Q-Bixx

Can you post video somewhere else, i can't see it.

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 13 of 20
Q-Bixx
Message 14 of 20
streharg
in reply to: Q-Bixx

Video works now, thnx.

First, make sure you have SP1.1 installed!!

I noticed you already created library, but it's empty. Why not try to create it from scratch in inventor again?

Then, when you copied materials, what did you do with generic material? Just leave it as it is. You copied new materials to library, that's it. What stays in .ipt part, doesn't matter, leave it.

All you have to do, is assign material to .ipt, duplicate it, edit it, and right click, and add it to your library. Then, close down inventor, navigate to your library file, right click, mark it as read only in windows, then open any part again and test if your library works(should be locked and read only now).

But i'm not sure where did properties for iron (1) go...it should be right in you custom library with GG 20.

Defenitely you have some wierd things going on.

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 15 of 20
streharg

Maybe try this:

When you add material to document, duplicate it, then rename it. After that, edit it, and rename assest also!

Then add edited material to your (create a new one!) library. You can save document (remember, create one empty .ipt just for editing your library!). And close down open document.

Then navigate to library file in windows, mark it as read only, then open your library ipt again, and check out your library.

There's more information here:
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1443-Materia...

If nothing works, not even sp1.1, then you should reconsider to reinstall inventor completely. Or if somebody else have better idea.

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 16 of 20
streharg

So i did some more testing.

We use network project file, that actually works quite ok. And so, libraries work ok, and everything else.

But then i created new project file, and tried to add/edit libraries, and just got the same problems. Can't add library to the project file, and just got all of the problems you have. Inventor won't read not even inventor library. So it looks like new Inventor is very allergic to project files (why?!). But what's wrong i just don't know and can't figure it out. I need new project file, but now i know i can't use it, because i can't add my custom library!

Rubbish!!!

Smiley Mad

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 17 of 20
karthur1

@streharg wrote:

.... Can't add library to the project file, and just got all of the problems you have. Inventor won't read not even inventor library....

Smiley Mad

I dont have a problem with it reading the Inventor Library, but sometimes it wont read my custom library.  I have tried closing and restarting Inventor after I change projects, but it still wont read it. If I hover over the name, the path is correct. As a temporary fix,  I can RMB and chose "Locate Library" and pick it again it it works until I change projects again.  Is this what you are seeing?

2012-11-27_0710.png

Why can't you add a library to your project?  Can you give some details?

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
@intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault Basic 2013

Message 18 of 20
streharg
in reply to: karthur1

So, our main (network) project file is somehow working ok!

But if i try to create new project file (for local use only), then things go wrong (the same with new network project file).

As in your picture, i also have autodesk appearance library, but inventor won't load inventor material library, even if it is added to the project file. And of course, i can't add my custom library. It's just saying there's no materials available. Quite weird, because i was able to add it to appearance libraries under projects (it's not working in inventor).

And then, if i close my .ipt file, which I use for editing material libray, and reopen it, then i can see both inventor and custom library, but with that yellow sign(as on your picture). Path and name are correct, but inventor won't load it. I tried RMB-locate, but still didn't work. Funny thing is, my custom library is not added to the project file under projects at all! It somehow just stays in inventor, but not in the project file.

So i think there's a lot of problems with project files using libraries, since our main project file really works ok, and libraries also! (Have to investigate what's making our main project file to work). It's not good that i can't simply create new project files for local use, that would work with libraries.

Am i doing anything wrong, or is it just buggy software again? It's all the same as for our main project file ...

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 19 of 20
michael_marx
in reply to: rangt

Hi Tom

is ther any Solution for this thumbnail problem?

I still have this is issue in Inventor 2014 SP1 Update3 now.

Steps to test

working with original Inventor Material Library in original location (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Materials\) 

open the appearance browser with a part file

make a new appearance not a duplicate

save back to inventorMaterial Library

all is fine thumbnail is there

reboot Inventor look into material library 

thumbnail is greyed out

double click to cache into document the thumbnail is there in the local cache but not in the library

Message 20 of 20
maulik_patel
in reply to: michael_marx

Hi Michael,

I am following upon the thumbnail issue which you asked Tom.

I tried the workflow you mentioned but failed to duplicate the issue. Thumbnail is always there in library for me(both in 2013 and 2014).   

For more investigation can you provide following information?

1. Can you provide the library which you were using?
  2. Is this only happens to Appearance? Or Material also behaves the same way
  3. Is the issue only with any particular type of appearance?

Thank you,

Maulik Patel

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report