Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013- Realistic vs. Shaded with Edges

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
642 Views, 5 Replies

2013- Realistic vs. Shaded with Edges

How do I get my part to be transparent in the "Realistic" view like it is with the"Shaded with edges"?  This is what it looks like with the view style set to "Shaded with Edges".  Notice how it is transparent and you can see thru the part.

2012-07-25_0820.png

Now when I switch to "Realistic", I get this.  Anything that is behind this part is not visible.

2012-07-25_0821.png

I want to be able to see thru the part when in the reallistic visual style.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: karthur1

What material are you using for the part?

The color style for that material may not have been set up for realistic appearance.

If you are using the DEFAULT material, it uses a generic material for realistic appearance.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
stephengibson76

if its just 1 part it cant be both solid and transparent... split it into 2 parts

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6

also, it may not suit your needs but shaded with ambient shadows suits our needs much better than the realistic style

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 6
sam_m
in reply to: mpatchus

I was wondering whether it's to do with the material too...  but whether it's the material's opacity setting coming into play...  Presumably the material isn't set as transparent, but just a texture with a large masked area to make it look it - as soon as it turns to the ray-tracing mode would it take the material's opacity-settings and assume it's a solid block...  might be worth an experiment with the material's opacity? 

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 6
RobJV

Old post, I know.  Just dealing with a bunch of screwy transparency issues myself.  Not sure if you got everything figured out with this but I wonder if my answer from this post on page 2 might help?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/cutout-appearance-doesn-t-work/td-p/362747...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report