Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Make Components glitch

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
ToddHarris7556
1257 Views, 25 Replies

2012 Make Components glitch

Anyone else run into this?

Multi-body parts, using Make Components.

1) When you click the Browse folder icon to pick an Assembly to insert into, the 'Component Properties' dialog pops up, asking if you want to create a new assembly.

2) Whether you answer yes or no, no Browse Dialog pops up.

3) The path is left at the default of your workspace path. You can manually type in the path and Assembly name if you know it, but no ability to browse to it. It wants to create the new assembly in the default workspace folder.

Just checking sanity... someone else please say you've run into it. Thanks 🙂

Win7 / 64 Ult

IV 2012 Pro

PS - Also happens when you choose Make Part instead of Make components.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Exact same issue here on two machines.

IV2012 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 3 of 26

Thanks, Andrew. Was starting to think I was the only one 🙂

Todd
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 4 of 26

Seems like restarting Inventor will resolve in temporarily.

Very annoying.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 5 of 26

Todd,

Are you accessing your template files on a computer other than the one you are working on? Ex. Server?

It seems like everyone at my work is having this issue, and I'm trying to track down what might be causing it.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 6 of 26

No, all local file access.

Interestingly enough.... I did it yesterday, and it seemed to work OK. Didn't really have time to investigate further, but when I do, I'll post what I find.

Todd
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 7 of 26

Yeah,

Ours seems to work when you first fire up IV, but after you've been working for a while it quits working.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 8 of 26

Same issue here - no dialog.  Doesn't always work after a restart, though.  We use multibodied parts to make components often, so this is going to get frustrating pretty quickly if something isn't done about it.

Message 9 of 26

After installing SP1 this error still remains...

/Claus

Message 10 of 26
brad
in reply to: claus.forsell

As a workaround, I do this:

1. Open up my destination folder

2. Right click any file in there

3. Click "properties"

4. CTL+C the location

5. Paste it in the "Make components" dialog

Not as friendly as browsing, but it beats manually typing it in.

Message 11 of 26
PolemEngineering
in reply to: brad

Same problem here.

Close and restart Inventor will help, but is not a satisfying.

Message 12 of 26
TonyBrowne
in reply to: ToddHarris7556

I get the same thing sometimes I even get a file browser titled.

"Default Output Location of DWF file" 

and I have to type in *.iam to find assemblies.

It seems to not clear the parameters before calling the file browser routine and reuses the parameters from the last call.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012 SP1
Win 7/64
Dell Precision T1600 / 8GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Message 13 of 26

I just installed a IV on a new machine and using the default templates stored locally. This issues is still happening.

The make components dialog and the multi-body modeling workflow are the most usefull tools in Inventor. How has this bug not been fixed yet?

This issue makes these features nearly useless.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 14 of 26
mflayler2
in reply to: andrewdroth

Did you adjust any of your settings as described by the support blog?

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/.services/blog/6a01156ed841f2970c01156ed84aff970c/search?filter.q=...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 15 of 26
andrewdroth
in reply to: mflayler2

Hi Mark,

You'll have to be more clear about which settings you are refering to. I read through the posts in that link, and it didn't seem like any of those pertained to this issue.

This post did help me with the issue of our default templates not being used.

There is some really helpful stuff on there. Thanks.

Andrew

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 16 of 26

Please reread the previous submissions. Everything you describe is what happens normally and is expected behaviour. This is not the issue we have. I have it frequently when inventor has been running for a while, intermittantly when you try to export bodies as parts  using either "Make Part" or "Make Components" to an existing assembly either the file browser does not start at all or it is called with the wrong parameters. If you restart inventor and follow the same procedure it starts working again. It is not operator error, it is a software bug. I've done plug in developement programming I know how the software works.

Message 17 of 26

I have reproduced the problem. I start inventor for the first time after restarting PC. I open an existing part. I click "Make Components" click the Target assembly location file brower button and choose "No" to browse to an existing assembly it all works fine. Ithen back out and export the part as a DWF. Then go back to "Make Components" and follow the exact same procedure. Whether I choose Yes or No for make new assembly I get a file browser window entitled "Default Output Location of DWF file".

Message 18 of 26
mflayler2
in reply to: TonyBrowne

I did the exact procedure you used and I could not get the same error.  Not saying its not reproducable, but it certainly isn't on my machine.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 19 of 26
mflayler2
in reply to: ToddHarris7556

As to the original posters question (with the dialog not popping up), I had this issue logged recently and it has been addressed for a later release.  Did anyone else log the issue with Autodesk?  The more people that log this issue the more likely you will get a hotfix for it.  Supply and demand after all.

Message 20 of 26
stevec781
in reply to: mflayler2

@mflayler2 wrote:

it has been addressed for a later release. 

Looks like I will be skipping 2012 all together then.  Interesting that according to wiki 2013 is code named Goodyear. Let's hope so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report