Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Ga SS cylinder 18" diameter, the flat pattern is 55.915, is this correct ?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Carolus17
536 Views, 5 Replies

10 Ga SS cylinder 18" diameter, the flat pattern is 55.915, is this correct ?

Hello,

I would like to confirm the size is good or not, I built a 18" diameter Cylinder, 10 Guage SS (0.14). Inventor show me

the flat pattern is 55.915". I expect 2 x 3.1416 x 9 = 56.54". there is half inch different. is this correct ?!

thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sps_cad_guy
in reply to: Carolus17

I'm coming up closer to what Inventor shows it should be.

I think your expected dimension is too big.

I'm thinking, when you figure the flat length on your calculator,

you are figuring the length along the outsid, rather than the

center of the material.

Lenovo Think Pad
Windows 7 SP 1
64 Bit.
Inventor 2014 SP2
ACAD Mechanical 2014
Message 3 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: sps_cad_guy

Your hand calculation does not take into account the unfold rule that you have Inventor set to use. It defaults (somewhat arbitrarily) to a k-factor of .44.

You need to set up your unfold rules to take into account your manufacturing process.

At my shop we use the mean method for rolled parts (k-factor = .5), but we have a +/- .030 tolerance on sheetmetal parts.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

flat patterns depend on the tooling and processes used.

I ALWAYS do a physical piece first to know the k-factor I should be using for that process/material thickness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: mcgyvr

What I did here, for our occasional high precision press braked pieces, is to make test bends of all of our common materials (type and thickness) at various angles. I then charted all of the data in Excel and wrote equations to describe the way each material deforms as it bends more and more. I then set these all up as unfold rules in my template and wrote an iLogic rule to select the appropriate unfold rule based on the selected material type and thickness.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
Carolus17
in reply to: Carolus17

I'll check the bend table (excel) at the intenory. thanks a lot for the information and advise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report