Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor fusion mac crashes trying to open saved files

59 REPLIES 59
SOLVED
Message 1 of 60
tbabcock123
5281 Views, 59 Replies

inventor fusion mac crashes trying to open saved files

RAM: 16 GB ram

either double clicking the file or calling it from the 'recent files' panel will cause the 'rainbow wheel of death' and the application crashes - makes the application useless.

59 REPLIES 59
Message 21 of 60
Sferril
in reply to: Sferril

More to add... on the newer computer, fusion crashes often but I can open the file if I specifically open fusion, then use the "open" command.  The file pops up.  Not sure if this helps identify the problem.

sf

Message 22 of 60
net-marker

Hallo Same problems here (mac IOS 10.8.2) 

I was wondering if Autodesk can give an indication when this issue can be solved. Or are there maybe some tricks to open the file via another way? This because I like to continue on my work. I would like to keep doing this in Fusion rather then starting over again in another program. 

Message 23 of 60
cbrinke1
in reply to: tbabcock123

I have been working with one of the developers for the past few months. He confirmed to me in a recent email that the issue is based around Mutli Threading and seems to affect certain hardware/OS combinations, and that they are working on a fix:

"Yes, we have seen couple of MT issues while processing the graphics scenes(on particular hardware and OS combinations) while opening some files. And we are working on it now. So probably you will get this fix in our next release."

The only workaround I have found is to use Inventor on older Hardware or an earlier OS (Lion seems unaffected). It is less than ideal to lug around another MBP just for this, but it is cheaper than a commercial license for autodesk Fusion 😉

Chris
Message 24 of 60
net-marker

Hi Chris,

You say the best thing is to wait for the next update. Can you tell me to when this update will be released. Also I understand that the issue is based around Mutli Threading, will this mean that I can try to eliminate some other background programs that interference with each-other? 

I hope i can continue working with Fusion soon because I really like the usability of this design program! 

jorn

Message 25 of 60

Gosh ... 

Same issue !

Working during 3 hours on a file this morning. Saving it as .f3d (original setting ..)

Having a good lunch since i am happy of my morning job. 

Then, opening it and ... crash. 

Impossible to open my files. 

Are you sure that you are going to solve this issue in a while ? 

Does QA Autodesk is working on erro report automaticly sent ?

The BEST : Impossible to attach file with f3d extension to this post  !!!!!!!

Regards, Benoit

Message 26 of 60
net-marker

Hello, It would be nice if somone can give feetback on the current solutin of the satus., when will there be update?

Message 27 of 60
schneik-adsk

can you zip the file and post it?

Kevin Schneider
Message 28 of 60

hello 

here is my file that crash the app. 

Other issue is : impossible to import .DWG

Here in attachement the files concerned. 

Thank you for your help

Benoit

Message 29 of 60

I download the .zip file but fail to unzip it and just copy the .f3d file out. So would you please attach the .f3d file directly or email it to LiangDOTLiu@autodeskDOTcom. I'll take a look then.

For the DWG open issue, please make sure there's 3D Solid/Surface data in DWG.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Message 30 of 60

I am having the same unexpected quits during simple extrusions.  I'm running Fusion on a 16GB 2.6Ghz MBP retina.  I had used fusion with very complex assemblies on an old 13 MBP with no issues.  With the new retina, I am able to perform one extrusion and once i begin a revolve command or extrude cut, the program will crash.  This happens whether I save or don't save the part and happens to all fietypes.

I checked to see if this was related to the retina's graphics switching or screen scaling, but changing either of these variables doesn't seem to affect the program stability.  I'm hopeful that an update is on the horizion.

Message 31 of 60
schneik-adsk

We are still trying to find the source of the problem. Any details and f3d files (zipped) that you can post will help.

Kevin Schneider
Message 32 of 60
net-marker
in reply to: schneik-adsk

herby a file that let grash the application. I see forrward to a solution 

Message 33 of 60

The attached file crashes Inventor Fusion every time I try to open it.

Message 34 of 60

Hi, Same problem. I try to open a file (attached) that I have spent days working on, multicoloured umbrella of death, then Fusion Error Report pops up. I then have to Force Quit the app. Other files open fine.

Nearly four months since this topic was brought up and no fix yet?

Has anybody found a work around to recover the file or is it a lost cause? Are there any other apps (autodesk or otherwise) that will open .f3d files?

Thanks.

2013 iMac, 2.7 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM.

Message 35 of 60
dbgerull
in reply to: craigdurrant6580

I guess we get what we pay for 🙂

I have frequent crashes with the same relatively small part file across all three of my machines:

a) MacMini with 512gb SSD, 8gb memory

b) 15" MacBook Pro Retina with 768gb SSD, 16gb Memory, 2.7 GHz i7

c) 27" iMac with 3Tb drive, 32gb memory, i7

Sometimes the crashes feel truly random but if there is any consistency it seems I can "force" a kernel panic beach ball if I do not wait for commands to "take" such as selecting items and moving on to the next operation without pausing to see if the part highlights, etc. before moving on.  

I hope they do track this down someday as I like the product but feel very reluctant to move on to any very complicated or designs that takes a larger investment of time as you just don't know when it will bite you.

Cheers!

Message 36 of 60
cbrinke1
in reply to: schneik-adsk

The only work around I have found was to: Take the .f3d file and open it on a mac that is running Lion (previous OS version). Export the file to a .stp or .sat file. Then on the machine that has the issue, open a new file and import the .sat/.stp file you just generated and it should work without issue. 

The downside to this approach is that .sat/.stp files are not as feature rich (I think you lose some detail), but at least you get access to your hard work while Autodesk figures out what is wrong.

I spent a few weeks just working with .sat/.stp files, but eventually abandoned fusion because of this issue. I am now working in openscad until autodesk gets a fix. 

Chris

Message 37 of 60
craigdurrant6580
in reply to: cbrinke1

@cbrinke1 wrote:

The only work around I have found was to: Take the .f3d file and open it on a mac that is running Lion (previous OS version). Export the file to a .stp or .sat file. Then on the machine that has the issue, open a new file and import the .sat/.stp file you just generated and it should work without issue. 

Unfortunately i am a recent convert, and I don't know anybody that has an older Mac. Will anybody on here be able to export my file to .stp and post/email it back?

Thanks.

Message 38 of 60
cbrinke1
in reply to: craigdurrant6580

The only work around I have found was to: Take the .f3d file and open it on a mac that is running Lion (previous OS version). Export the file to a .stp or .sat file. Then on the machine that has the issue, open a new file and import the .sat/.stp file you just generated and it should work without issue. The downside to this approach is that .sat/.stp files are not as feature rich (I think you lose some detail), but at least you get access to your hard work while Autodesk figures out what is wrong. I spent a few weeks just working with .sat/.stp files, but eventually abandoned fusion because of this issue. I am now working in openscad until autodesk gets a fix. Chris
Message 39 of 60
rewheaton
in reply to: tbabcock123

Experiencing the same problem.  Forum won't let me attached f3d files.

Moutain Lion

2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Message 40 of 60
SallyYang
in reply to: rewheaton

We will fix the stability issues in later release, please pay attention to the update.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report