Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating and inserting mep parts in Inventor Fusion

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
buckljam
875 Views, 18 Replies

creating and inserting mep parts in Inventor Fusion

I created parts and saved as dwg file from Inventor Fusion 2012 for AutoCAD Mep 2011. I can insert one part with no problem, however, when I insert a second part it takes on the first parts properties. (i.e. same size and shape). Yet in the properties box it shows it as being a different part. Any suggestions?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
adsk_loren
in reply to: buckljam

Can you post the parts here? I can forward them to QA for testing.

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus

Fusion SME/tech writer

Loren Jahraus
Subject Matter Expert/Technical Writer- Inventor Fusion
Message 3 of 19
buckljam

Here you go.

Message 4 of 19
adsk_loren

I opened the parts one at a time in both AutoCAD and Fusion, and they basically have the same dimensions. I didn't check everything but the main body seems to be the same size while the cylindrical fetaure has a different diameter. 

At this point, it isn't clear what the problem is. If you can tell us which dimensions are different in the two programs, then we can look into it. If the parts have changed size, then we would need the original files and the steps that caused them to change.

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus

Inventor Fusion Technical Writer, SME

Loren Jahraus
Message 5 of 19
buckljam
in reply to: adsk_loren

The problem is that when ever I insert say a part with a 6" in diameter intake valve into a drawing it inserts fine. Then in the same drawing whenever I insert another part that has different diameter intake say an 8" or 14"... into the same drawing it shows as the part I want inserted (8" or 14") yet the part is the body and dimensions as the first part I insert (6" diameter intake). Yet when you click on the properties of the second part inserted it reads as a 8" or 14" diameter intake. So in recap I can insert one part just fine, yet when I insert any other part it is the body of the first part inserted, yet the properties read as something different.

Message 6 of 19
adsk_loren

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I am also seeing this problem, and it is certainly unusual. I have seen a lot of things over the years, but this is a new one for me.

How did you create the parts in Fusion? Did you create one part and then save copies with the different feature sizes?

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus
Message 7 of 19
buckljam

Spoiler

No, each part was made separately and save as such. That is what makes this so confusing, I have never seen this as well. Any thoughts on this matter is appreciated.

Message 8 of 19
adsk_loren

There is definitely something wrong with these files. I imported them into Inventor and then exported them again as DWGs, and they seem to work now. It doesn't resolve the original problem, but at least the files should be usable now.

I forwarded this to QA.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
Message 9 of 19
buckljam

Did you use Inventor Fusion to import the parts into? I do not have Inventor and do not see the options to import dwg's into Inventor Fusion.

Message 10 of 19
adsk_loren

Hi,

I used Inventor initially, but this also worked for me. 

1. Open the file in Fusion
  2. Save As .sat file
  3. Import the file into a new ACAD drawing
  4. Save the drawing as DWG

I was able to insert the files correctly after translating them. It looks like Fusion is creating DWG files with an internal name that doesn't increment when you insert them into ACAD. Even though the blocks have the correct file properties, ACAD sees them as the same block and reuses the geometry. Saving them in a different format and then converting them to DWG fixes this issue.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
Message 11 of 19
buckljam

Ok, I saved the Inventor Fusion file as an .sat file. When I try to import the file into AutoCAD 2012 I get an error that says, "Youhave selected an unsupported DGN file. Only V7 and V8 DGN files are supported.". Any suggestions?

Message 12 of 19
adsk_loren

DGN is a Microstation format, and Fusion doesn't export that file type.

Have you installed SP2 for Fusion?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/index?id=1​6916662&siteID=123112&linkID=16915701

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
Message 13 of 19
buckljam

I have SP2 installed on my computer, I have remade the parts and saved them as .sat files. I next open up a new autocad 2012 dwg and try to import the file I get the following error (see attachment). So I am open to suggestions on this matter.

thanks

Message 14 of 19
adsk_loren

Here are the three files that I imported to ACAD.

Can you post one of the SAT files you created?

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus
Message 15 of 19
buckljam

Here you go.

Message 16 of 19
buckljam

Please correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• The file does not have a valid extension for an attachment. doc,pdf,dwf,dwg,dxf,dst,gz,gzip,zip,bm,bmp,gif,jfif,jpe,jpeg,jpg,psd,tif,tiff,png,htm,html,xml,xls,lsp,svf,3ds,vcf,png,text,txt,log,env,dcl,rvt,rfa,ipt,iam,ipn,dwfx,idw,csv,nwf,nwc,nwd are the valid extensions.

It did not look like my last post went through, so here it is again. I get the error above whenever I try to post the .sat file.

Message 17 of 19
adsk_loren

I think you need to zip the file before you post it.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
Message 18 of 19
OwenWhitehouse

I am having the same issue...parts created in Fusion cannot be inserted into AutoCAD because they are all called ACAD_FREEWAY_COMPONENT_1. I cannot insert more than one part in Fusion, either. I'm sure there are workarounds, but the main takeaway is that Fusion and AutoCAD are only marginally compatible.

I have partially managed to get around this by exploding each inserted part and using the RENAME command to change the parts from ACAD_FREEWAY_COMPONENT_1 to a unique name.

I'm quite enthralled with the idea that I can use an Inventor interface to work with DWG files, but there are definitely some kinks to work out.

Message 19 of 19
adsk_loren
in reply to: OwenWhitehouse

This is an issue in Fusion that the development team is investigating. In the meantime, the workaround is to save files in a neutral format, import them into another Autodesk product, and then save as DWG.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report