Inventor Fusion

buckljam
Message 1 of 19 (525 Views)

creating and inserting mep parts in Inventor Fusion

525 Views, 18 Replies
07-29-2011 09:07 AM

I created parts and saved as dwg file from Inventor Fusion 2012 for AutoCAD Mep 2011. I can insert one part with no problem, however, when I insert a second part it takes on the first parts properties. (i.e. same size and shape). Yet in the properties box it shows it as being a different part. Any suggestions?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Employee
adsk_loren
Message 2 of 19 (504 Views)

Re: re: creating and inserting mep parts in Inventor Fusion

08-01-2011 08:03 AM in reply to: buckljam

Can you post the parts here? I can forward them to QA for testing.

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus

Fusion SME/tech writer

Loren Jahraus
Subject Matter Expert/Technical Writer- Inventor Fusion
buckljam
Message 3 of 19 (503 Views)

08-01-2011 08:30 AM in reply to: buckljam
Employee
adsk_loren
Message 4 of 19 (469 Views)

08-02-2011 02:10 PM in reply to: buckljam

I opened the parts one at a time in both AutoCAD and Fusion, and they basically have the same dimensions. I didn't check everything but the main body seems to be the same size while the cylindrical fetaure has a different diameter. 

At this point, it isn't clear what the problem is. If you can tell us which dimensions are different in the two programs, then we can look into it. If the parts have changed size, then we would need the original files and the steps that caused them to change.

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus

Inventor Fusion Technical Writer, SME

Loren Jahraus
buckljam
Message 5 of 19 (461 Views)

08-03-2011 08:43 AM in reply to: adsk_loren

The problem is that when ever I insert say a part with a 6" in diameter intake valve into a drawing it inserts fine. Then in the same drawing whenever I insert another part that has different diameter intake say an 8" or 14"... into the same drawing it shows as the part I want inserted (8" or 14") yet the part is the body and dimensions as the first part I insert (6" diameter intake). Yet when you click on the properties of the second part inserted it reads as a 8" or 14" diameter intake. So in recap I can insert one part just fine, yet when I insert any other part it is the body of the first part inserted, yet the properties read as something different.

Employee
adsk_loren
Message 6 of 19 (431 Views)

08-05-2011 01:49 PM in reply to: buckljam

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I am also seeing this problem, and it is certainly unusual. I have seen a lot of things over the years, but this is a new one for me.

How did you create the parts in Fusion? Did you create one part and then save copies with the different feature sizes?

Thanks,

Loren Jahraus
buckljam
Message 7 of 19 (416 Views)

08-08-2011 06:06 AM in reply to: adsk_loren
Spoiler

No, each part was made separately and save as such. That is what makes this so confusing, I have never seen this as well. Any thoughts on this matter is appreciated.

Employee
adsk_loren
Message 8 of 19 (410 Views)

08-08-2011 09:25 AM in reply to: buckljam

There is definitely something wrong with these files. I imported them into Inventor and then exported them again as DWGs, and they seem to work now. It doesn't resolve the original problem, but at least the files should be usable now.

I forwarded this to QA.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
buckljam
Message 9 of 19 (392 Views)

08-09-2011 11:28 AM in reply to: adsk_loren

Did you use Inventor Fusion to import the parts into? I do not have Inventor and do not see the options to import dwg's into Inventor Fusion.

Employee
adsk_loren
Message 10 of 19 (389 Views)

08-09-2011 11:59 AM in reply to: buckljam

Hi,

I used Inventor initially, but this also worked for me. 

1. Open the file in Fusion
  2. Save As .sat file
  3. Import the file into a new ACAD drawing
  4. Save the drawing as DWG

I was able to insert the files correctly after translating them. It looks like Fusion is creating DWG files with an internal name that doesn't increment when you insert them into ACAD. Even though the blocks have the correct file properties, ACAD sees them as the same block and reuses the geometry. Saving them in a different format and then converting them to DWG fixes this issue.

Regards,

Loren Jahraus

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube