Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text in Fusion 2013 - Any Text?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ck_cad
3215 Views, 3 Replies

Text in Fusion 2013 - Any Text?

Hello, I've searched the forum posts and every menu I can find, but I can't seem to locate an answer to this queston:

I've built a model of a product in Fusion 2013 (Windows 7 tech preview), and would like to add text graphics (product name, etc.) Is there any way within this product to do that?

Seems odd that one can't place text on a model.

The only work around I can imagine is to build the text as a "part" in another application and assemble it to the surface with constraints.

Frustrating that the documentation and FAQ makes no mention - even if to say not possible - of such a basic function. At least nowhere I can find. Did I miss it?

Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SallyYang
in reply to: ck_cad

We don't support to add text on face directly, however you can place a canvas image to a face, see below screenshot. 

image.png

And you can also use "New Canvas" tool, that required to new an image in sketchbook designer.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
ck_cad
in reply to: SallyYang

Thank you for the reply.

I've tried that but it does not seem to "stick" to the exported final version of the file. I'm trying to export this product mock-up, with the text, so I can import it into a 3D motion graphics tool like AfterEffects to produce some video materials about the item.

I need to be able to go from the Fusion file to 3DS. I can't go directly, so I'm translating via 3rd party tool. They can't open the Fusion DWGs at all though they can open "SketchUp, 3DS, OBJ, STEP, IGES" - the only success I've had with the model is via STEP format from Fusion. Tried your workflow but resulting file had no graphics when translated (Fusion > STEP > 3DS).

I added the canvas and constrained it to the model. They both rotate and look great in Fusion.Did I miss something?

Again, the goal here is Fusion > 3DS (opened in Photoshop then imported to AfterEffects). Need to product to have graphics on skin that move with correct perspective.

Thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 4
Phil.E
in reply to: ck_cad

3DS does decals, have you tried that?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report