Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems changing a sketch

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
geoffd123
484 Views, 3 Replies

Problems changing a sketch

I have an object that I wish to edit.  This sketch has 2 circles.

I click on Sketch1 and select edit. I change the dimension of spacing between the 2 circles.  THe sketch changes and I can see the holes in the new position.  However the body now has a hole in the old position and nothing at the new position.

If I export the object as an stl and I align the original and the new object, they are identical, so it has not saved the new sketch and updated the body to the new dimensions.

So:

a) Is this a bug?

b) Have I missed some refesh action that I should be doing to update the body.

Geoff

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
geoffd123
in reply to: geoffd123

Here is a screenshot showing what I mean.  You can see the original holes in the body, and two outlines where the new position has been set, but no hole!

Image 29-05-2013 at 19.16.jpeg

Tags (3)
Message 3 of 4
Henry3Dogg

I think you are being far too specific.

Can you find ANY example where you can modify a sketch, after you generate 3D Geometry, and have the 3D geometry updated to reflect the change in the sketch.

And if you can't do that, then there really is little point in having the excellent 2D parametric sketches.

I hope that this is a bug and not an intentional limitation.

Otherwise this is a big step BACKwards from ProDesktop 10 years ago.

Message 4 of 4
Phil.E

Geoff,

Thanks for posting! You have a great question.

Inventor Fusion, Inventor Fusion for Mac, and Fusion 360 are all "direct modelers". There is no use of parametrics in the Fusion product line, aside from some commands such as Fillet and Hole which make the values for such editable.

Customers who want to have sketches that update the solid use Inventor which is fully parametric. There is a 30 day trial if you want to try it.

To answer your question: Can I update the model using an edited sketch? Sure! Check it out:

After you have changed the sketch

1. Select a hole by picking it's cylindrical face
  2. Use Delete
  3. Remove the other hole this way
  4. Make sure your sketch is visible
  5. Extrude the holes from the updated sketch

Let me know if this helps or if you need more information, and thanks again for posting.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report