Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move and align body

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
net-marker
12400 Views, 5 Replies

Move and align body

Hello, I Use Inventor Fusion for Mac

When I tray to move a body or component,

1 Select body

2 select surface of the body I like to move

3 select move action

4 select the direction in where I would like to move the body.

5 select the surface of an other component where I would like to align with.

This is often working. But my problem is that it is also often not working. I can’t simply not select the surface of an other component where I would like to align with(5).

I have really no idea what I do wrong. Can somebody help me further?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
net-marker
in reply to: net-marker

what i find out is: when i select a body from the left menu, and then press on the move option, a random point will be taken to move the object from. In this case the alignment to other surfaces will work. When i make a selection (for example a center point) and start the move from that point, I can't select other surfaces anymore. 

How can i align a center point of a body to another service? I have for example a Iphone connector and like to align this to the iphone. I trying this for weeks now, but dan't get it work

Message 3 of 6
Phil.E

Hi,

You ask a good question. There are two solutions: move bodies or assemble components

Move Bodies:

1. Use construction geometry to place a point where you wish to grab the body.
  2. Select this point in the browser, use Move.
  3. At this point Move will allow you to select more bodies, pick the body now.
  4. Complete the move by the method you describe.

Assemble components:

1. First convert your bodies to components by right clicking on them and using "Create Components from Bodies"
  2. Next start the Joint command (Assemble menu)
  3. Rigid Joint is the default and will probably work for what you want
  4. Hover the mouse over faces and edges on the component that you wish to move
  5. Notice how the Joint Origin can snap to edges, corners, and centers of faces. Click to select.

Assembly to center of a void, such as a connector hole.

1. Use Surface > Patch command to make a surface body in the void (connector hole)
  2. Use Joint command to assemble your connector to this proxy body.
  3. If the void is symmetrical, Joint will find the center of this body.
  4. Turn off the visibility of the Patch made body.

If you need more help, just ask. Otherwise please mark this with Accept as Solution if I've answered your question fully.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
net-marker

Hallo, 

Thanks for the remark. I'm aware of this posibilitys. But my problem is that the fucntion is not behaving as aspected. 

I can use 'Move bodies/ component' and select a point in the body and move this body to another opjeckt. But the problem is that it somtimes can snap to another opject and somtimes not.

The snapping is working when the system defines his own point from where the body can be moved. When I select a point my self from where I would like to move the body, the snapping function is sundaly not working anymore. 

If i create a new simple document with 2 bloks, it is working again. 

So I do not understand when can it work and when not. 

I'm now hours and hour furter to figer it out, but cant understand it. 

I hope you can help me furter with this. 

Message 5 of 6
defecta

I too am finding it frustratingly difficult to get precise alignment of components and the answers being proposed on these forums are annoyingly unclear or unhelpful.

Another answer in found on this forum as a supposed solution to this questions was basically "google it" on the Autodesk University website. And no such lessons exist.Man Mad

Message 6 of 6
Phil.E
in reply to: defecta

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with body and component alignment.

Did you try any of the methods I listed? If these workflows are unclear, I'll be happy to provide more information.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report