Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading name?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
drumminone
442 Views, 2 Replies

Misleading name?

My initial expectations were for Fusion to be integrated into the Inventor product line. I now see that it is a standalone product BASED on the Inventor core and that is where the similarities and comparisons should end. I do like direct modelling of Fusion, and I will have to rethink my approach to modeling just as I had to rethink my approach to CAD when I transitioned from AutoCAD to Inventor. That's not to say its quite as drastic leap in approach though.

Maybe what's confusing others (it was for me), it the fact the software is called "Inventor Fusion" when maybe it needs to be clarified and called only "Fusion". The attachment to the Inventor line is a tad misleading and as such I expected Fusion to run on top of Inventor...

I'm do not like the default file type being a .dwg, though. It would be nice to open an Inventor .ipt or .iam and use the Fusion push/pull on parts directly. Overall, I like where Fusion is going.

Just my thoughts.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikeg
in reply to: drumminone

I agree with this (My initial expectations were for Fusion to be integrated into the Inventor product line.) Hence my earlier post as to whether or not it needed to run with 2009 0r 2010.

Although I would prefer that sometime in the future it would be an add-on to IV...mostly so I would not have to purchace another program. I have to work a lot with STEP files, so I really like where, I see this program going, but it would be nice to be able to save the file back out as a IPT with the added features being "Feature Based" as in IV when starting from scratch. I think that if this program was an add-on to IV, that this may be possible...although, I am not a programmer so I really don't know 😉

This (maybe it needs to be clarified and called only "Fusion".) would make since for now and/or in the future if it is not added onto IV. Or maybe name it "Autodesk Fussion".
Message 3 of 3
schneik-adsk
in reply to: drumminone

From the FAQ...

Inventor Fusion is a technology preview. In order to reduce risk and make it easy to engage in providing feedback, Autodesk® is delivering Inventor Fusion technology as a unique download and install – separate from your production version of Autodesk® Inventor® software. You can install and use Inventor Fusion Technology Preview with the confidence that it will not affect your product Inventor Install and that it will not overwrite any of your production design data.

Autodesk has a history of releasing technology previews as separate installs. For example, customers who participated in the plastic part and advanced simulation technology previews were able to provide feedback that directly affected how those technologies eventually were incorporated into Autodesk® Inventor® 2010 software.

-Kevin Schneider
Autodesk, Inc.
Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report