Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac vs. Windows for Inventor Fusion?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
j_morgan76
1541 Views, 4 Replies

Mac vs. Windows for Inventor Fusion?

Does the Mac & Win versions of Inventor Fusion have the same tools and features?

Hello... I am new to Inventor Fusion and I have been going through some Tutroials that were made by Autodesk for inventor Fusion 2013 on youtube. I have noticed that when watching some of the tutorials that were made in the windows version that some of the tools don't exist in the Mac version. 

For example: When assembeling 2 componets there is no way to do this in the Mac version. In the tutorial it says to choose assemble then constraints. In Fusion for mac there are no options for this. I had to make a hinge to get 2 components to assemble. Is this the only way in the Mac version?

Also I was wondering how to duplicate a component. I have 1 component that I need to use 4 times in my project but can't copy & paste nor do I see an option to duplicate. 

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated... Thank you... Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Phil.E
in reply to: j_morgan76

The videos are made with an older version of Inventor Fusion that was for Windows only. Some of the workflows will be very similar, but there may be tools that don't exist yet in the Inventor Fusion for Mac version.

For assembly: Use the Joint command.

To copy a component:

1. Go to component in browser, right click on it, use Copy
  2. Go to top node in browser, right click on it, use Paste

At this point you have pasted a second component right on top of the original

• Right click on the new component copy in the browser, and use Move command

Have you seen Fusion 360 yet?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
adquint
in reply to: Phil.E

It has been over a year now.  Would you have any new comments on Inventor 2015 Mac vs Windows? 

I've seen a number of products have quite a big difference between the Mac and Windows version.  I am considering buying a Mac to run Inventor 2015, and was even pricing them out when the M/W disparity popped in my head and so I Googled it, and here I am.  I'd much rather run on a Mac, but if Inventor was a Windows product, the Mac version may definitely be missing features. 

Can the development team give some feedback on this?  Do you have a "feature parity between Mac and Windows" policy, and has it been reached? 

Message 4 of 5
adquint
in reply to: adquint

Okay, wait a second.  The OSX compatibility for Inventor is only via Bootcamp or a hypervisor?  So there is really no Mac version of Inventor? 

I guess you have too many products for me to understand.  What is discussed in this thread, then?  Is Inventor Fusion the same as Fusion 360?  Ugh.  Good thing I didn't buy the Mac. 

Message 5 of 5
Phil.E
in reply to: adquint

There currently is no Mac version of Autodesk Inventor. People are using Bootcamp and the like to run it on OSX.

This thread is a very old thread that was created by a user who didn't understand the difference between Inventor Fusion (the original Fusion) and Inventor Fusion for Mac, which was the first version of Fusion available on Mac Appstore. Inventor Fusion is no longer supported, on Mac or Win.

Fusion 360 is identical on Mac and Win. It was born from the concept of Inventor Fusion, but it's not the same at all. Have you tried it? You should, it's free and installs in a couple minutes.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/about

Other than that, I guess the only question is how many products we have. Currently we have Inventor and Fusion 360 as parametric solid modelers.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report