Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor-fusion

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
jameslenane
1884 Views, 22 Replies

Inventor-fusion

when im using inventor i cant click on fusion in the applications options,eventhough it says recommended,it just stays greyed out,anybody have a solution to this?Id really appreciate some feedback as posted this before but didnt get any answers so im at a loss to the reasons for this!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
schneik-adsk
in reply to: jameslenane

Can you confirm that Inventor Fusion 2012 is installed? Can ou run it from the shortcut in the Start -> Program group?

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 23
jameslenane

Thanks for the reply and i can open fusion from the start menu,programs so i dont know why i cant from app options and it doesnt open as the model only as an autocad drawing?

James

Message 4 of 23
schneik-adsk

When you open a Fusion DWF in Inventor. On the open dialog, in Inventor, select options. Select import and then open the DWG. This should launch the DWG import dialog and recognize the file as a Fusion DWG.

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 23
jameslenane

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your help but i seem to be getting nowhere fast,if i open inventor I cant even find fusion files,I can only find fusion files if fusion is open,to be honest the fileing system seems to be not the easiest to work your way around and im getting so frustrated,I even uninstalled fusion last night and reinstalled it to see if it would show up in the applications menu but no joy,Im at a loss and without having somebody beside me to have a look or tell me if im doing something wrong I dont know what to do,its my studies im worried about,is there any other free form modeling programe I can run with inventor,I still think it must be something im doing wrong?

James lenane 

Message 6 of 23
jameslenane

Sorry Kevin I meant to say I cant open fusion files from inventor as they dont show up anywhere even in the dialog box,the options icon stays greyed out and you cant pick it!

James lenane

Message 7 of 23
schneik-adsk

OK. 

Thanks for the patience. As we try to figure out what is going wrong.

First, can we do a simple test?

Start Fusion and create a box and save it to your desktop.

Open Inventor, and "Import" the Fusion .dwg file into Inventor. You will have to change the open file dialog to ".dwg" or "all inventor files" file type filter. Use the options button to make sure that you import not open.

The dwg import wizard should recognize its a fusion file.

A new ipt should be created with a base feature and the solid block visible in the graphics.

Now right mouse click on the face feature and select edit solid.

(this is where things seem to be messed up)

Does Fusion launch or does the old edit solid environment open up?

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 23
jameslenane

kevin it didnt work,i got to the stage that you asked me too eventually but i had to do a few things a little different to get there but it wont launch fusion,i was in the old edit solid environment and it opened a box in the graphics window saying"inventor fusion technology preview provides enhanced solid edit functionality,go to http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/fusion/for more information1 you can click ok or prompts>>

James

Message 9 of 23
jameslenane

Kevin how are you?,fusion is driving me mad buddy,opened tonight to try and do some basic study work and it shut down 2 or 3 times saying the catalyst stopped working,driving me nuts,I cant learn something that keeps giving me problems as theres no continuity,my study plan has failed before it began.

James

Message 10 of 23
schneik-adsk

That is not good. Do you know if you have SP3 installed. There seems to be something very odd with this install of Fusion. Where was it installed from? From a USB key containing AutoCAD or Inventor or was it downloaded from Labs?

Kevin Schneider
Message 11 of 23
jameslenane

Hi Kevin,

I installed it from labs,I even removed it and reinstalled to see if it would help,I think I have sp2,how do I check

if I have sp3 and if I dont how do I get it and will it cure the problem,I remember getting maintenance updates

on inventor and I know I got sp1 and sp2 but I dont remember sp3 so if you can tell me how to check,I know there as way Im just having monday morning memory blank!

By the way Kevin thanks for all the help,it is appreciated!

James

Message 12 of 23
jameslenane

Kevin,I just checked my downloads and I have sp 1 and 2 but not 3,ok!So just need to know how to get 3 and see if it makes

any difference?

James

Message 13 of 23
schneik-adsk

Great. Let's see if that helps. If you send me an e-mail i can reply with a driect download link to the Install of Fusion+sp3. 

What version of Inventor are you using?

you can reach me at Kevin "dot" Schneider "At" autodesk.com

Kevin Schneider
Message 14 of 23
jameslenane
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi Kev,sent you an email from yahoo account so see how you get on as it came back to me saying problem with address,ok?

By the way Im running inventor 2011,so fingers crossed and thanks for the help!

Message 15 of 23
schneik-adsk

Have not seen it yet. I sent you a direct message here on the forum.

Kevin Schneider
Message 16 of 23
schneik-adsk
in reply to: schneik-adsk

So now we have an answer to all the questions. The LAbs releases available right now will only work with Inventor 2012. We will need to get you Fusion TP3 if you want to use it with 2011.

If you want to use it for school and not have the integration with Inventor then I can still provide the link to SP3 so that we can get rid of the crashing.

Kevin Schneider
Message 17 of 23
jameslenane

Hi Kevin,

first question,if we get fusion TP3 will it launch with inventor 2011,or as I have inventor for 3 years as a student should

I get inventor 2012 and uninstall 2011,you see Ive passed my 2011 certified associate exam ( in november ) and Id like

to try for the professional exam this year,sorry to ask so many questions but its very difficult here to find training or even guidance and I sometimes feel between a rock and a hard place,eventhough I pass the associate exam theres stuff I feel

I dont know,just wish there was somebody I could sit down with and talk about options and soforth,maybe I should just stick

with inventor 2011!

Thanks Kevin

James

Message 18 of 23
schneik-adsk

OK. I now know what is going wrong.

The Fusion download on labs only works with Inventor 2012. NOT 2011. This is why you can not run the two together.

The best thing to do is download Inventor 2012 from the education site. This will include Inventor Fusion. You then can update Inventor and Fusion to the latest SP and all should be well.

Kevin Schneider
Message 19 of 23
JDMather

@jameslenane wrote:

I pass the associate exam theres stuff I feel

I dont know,just wish there was somebody I could sit down with and talk about options  

James

Where are you located?  I have had many students pass both the Associate level exam and the Professional exam.

I saw a link to a rather extensive set of prep videos on the student website.
Contact me directly by email (root around in my signature) I would post the url here but I think it is reserved for students but near as I could tell not well protected site.  If I posted the url here I think anyone could get into the site.

BTW - I think the Professional exam is actually easier than the Associate as you actually use the software for the Professional exam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 20 of 23

Inventor Fusion 2012  keeps crashing, message appears "catalyst has stopped working"

running windows 7 64 bit

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report