Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 3D models in AutoCAD with Fusion

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
FProcp
2359 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor 3D models in AutoCAD with Fusion

How I want to use Inventor 3D models in AutoCAD via Fusion:

1 - Create your 3D model in Inventor.

2 - Open it in Fusion and convert to dwg.

3 - Xref that 3D model dwg into AutoCAD. Bang, you have inventor model in AutoCAD.

But the problem is when I need to edit that model that was created in Inventor.

Is there a way to edit that dwg 3D model back in Inventor with full parametrics so the xref'd 3D model in AutoCAD always remains live?

I have tried importing/opening the dwg back in Inventor. Sometimes it works for part files but sometimes it gives an error. When I try it with assemblies I get the following message:

"This DWG file edits an Inventor assembly. Presently only Inventor parts can be used with Change Manager."

It would be so nice if it would work with assemblies such as Frame Generator, etc. It would be nice if this always worked and could always be used.

Is there any way to do this? Smiley Sad

Franco
GMT +08:00
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
bobvdd
in reply to: FProcp

Hi Frank,

Is there any particular reason in your workflow why you want to use Fusion other than for converting to a DWG?

If you are not interested in modifying the geometry in Fusion itself, I would simply leave Fusion out of the picture and just let Inventor talk directly to AutoCAD Mechanical.

This can easily be done with the Inventor Link functionality that is available in ACADM.

Explore the commands AMIVLINK and AMIVUPDATE. This will get you what you want even with Frame Generator assemblies.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 17
FProcp
in reply to: bobvdd

Thankyou, that is very interesting.

Are these links not available in plain AutoCAD ?

Franco
Message 4 of 17
bobvdd

No they are not unfortunately as can be seen from the use of the AM prefix (we tend to prefix ACADM commands with that prefix). I forgot to mention that you can access the functionalityin ACADM  from the red "A" icon by selecting the New > Inventor Link menu.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 5 of 17
rdyson

But, once created, can they not be opened in vanilla acad? (including the 3-d model??)

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 17
bobvdd
in reply to: rdyson

From my cursory testing, when opening Inventor linked ACADM files in vanilla ACAD, I did not see the Inventor geometry show up on the ACAD side, so you really need to do this in ACADM and stick to ACADM.

Bob 

Bob Van der Donck

Message 7 of 17
rdyson

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 17
FProcp

Okay, I can link Inventor models into AutoCAD Mech using AMIVLINK. These models are live and can be updated when the Inventor model changes. I knew this function was been available for many years but I've never really used it. I have two issues:

1 - Where I work not everyone has 3D modelling software. We have a lot of CAD Monkey's (oops, design draftspeople) that detail models only and don't have AutoCAD mechanical. Is there any way to make this work in AutoCAD Vanilla?

2 - When I use "Viewbase" in the layout of the dwg with the linked Inventor model, it will not create a 3D view. WTF? it's a 3D model, why doesn't it recognise it. Autodesk has let me down again. So many half hearted efforts that don't really do a complete job.

Please improve this.

Franco
Message 9 of 17
FProcp

The VIEWBASE command is new in AutoCAD 2012. This new command will magically generate a 2D drawing from your 3D objects. It can even generate views from other Inventor ipt or iam models. But, it cannot generate a 2D view from an Inventor model that has been bought into the drawing using AMIVLINK ?

Please make  this possible Smiley Indifferent

It would be so good if we could do this. Otherwise we'll have to convert the Inventor models to 3D dwg files with Fusion and then bring them into AutoCAD. Then can create 2D views, no problem?

Franco
Message 10 of 17
bobvdd

Frank,

You could use the good old SOLVIEW command to create drawing views of Inventor linked 3D models.

This will allow you to see the model both in modelspace and paperspace.

As far as I understand the VIEWBASE command, it does not give you the opportunity to see the 3D model in modelspace.

In both routes you would still need to recur to DIMREASSOCIATE or grip editing to update your 2D dimensions after the Inventor model changes.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 11 of 17
FProcp

Thanks Bob. Wish this was better though.

Franco
Message 12 of 17
JDMather

You could always save as dwg solids directly from Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
FProcp
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I've used this method quite a bit. Just that you need to continue to have two copies of the model. The Inventor version which is easy to edit and the AutoCAD version that you've inserted in the assembly.

Could someone please tell Autodesk to make it possible for us to xref Inventor models in just like you can other AutoCAD ones Smiley Happy

Franco
Message 14 of 17
RTPrider

If you want a 3D model in AutoCAD, why not just create it in AutoCAD in the first place?  Converting an Inventor model means you lose the parametric editing.  ACAD added parametric features a few years ago.  ACAD modeling has gotten a lot of improvements in recent years. I personally only use Inventor if requested and I have made models in AutoCAD for many, many years.

Message 15 of 17
JDMather

@FProcp wrote:

Could someone please tell Autodesk to make it possible for us to xref Inventor models in just like you can other AutoCAD ones Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
FProcp
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, AutoCAD 2013 can import Inventor iam & ipt's straight into AutoCAD. Yipee!!!

The imported Inventor 3D models become AutoCAD blocks.

You can re-import the Inventor models into another new drawing and use the "Viewcenter' command to update those blocks in the current drawing and keep all the models live.

That way if the Inventor models change those models in AutoCAD can be updated so your AutoCAD drawing remains live and true to the latest updates.

Franco
Message 17 of 17
RTPrider

You may have better luck using AutoCAD Mechanical since it has built-in linking ability to Inventor parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report