Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing dwg files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
alexhberger
1681 Views, 6 Replies

Importing dwg files

I have two files that I created in illustrator that I would like to import as a sketch in IF, but I keep getting a "load dwg file failed."  What can I do to get these files to work? I am doing a project for my dad, and want to be able to use this program to complete it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: alexhberger

When I open the files in AutoCAD I get an warning and on inspection see some areas that are duplicated (right side of image) and/or not very good quality (left side of image).

Poor Geometry.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I would attempt to use far fewer points to define spline curves (see image where one point does good job of defining curve) and use lines and arc segements where possible rather than splines.  Also note the point circled in red.

Curve points.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

In this image I didn't move it completely into an aesthetically pleasing position, but you should be able to see how it was way out of position from previous image.

vertex.PNG

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Phil.E
in reply to: alexhberger

In my experience the DWG data created by Illustrator is often prone to this kind of defect. Illustrator tends to generate graphics that look okay, but are not robust enough for 3D modeling without an edit session in AutoCAD.

Fusion can import an image as a Canvas and you can sketch on top of this. Have you tried this?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
mailswamp
in reply to: Phil.E

Inventor Fusion has a hard time using DWG files that were not created in Autodesk products such as .dwg files in Solidworks. 

Message 7 of 7

Hi

If you want to open the 3D models which are created by Sketchup (.skp file) or SolidWorks/Catia/Proe, you don't need to translate to dwg file, Fusion can open many kinds of format files.

If you want to using a sketch create by AutoCAD, you can copy the sketch lines and Paste to Fusion sketch.

If you are using a high Revison solidworks/Catia/Proe which is beyand our limit, you can save 3D model to step/stl format, Fusion can open them very well.

Thanks

Cathy

Autodesk, Inc

(Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question)

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report