Inventor Fusion

Contributor
messt14
Message 1 of 4 (177 Views)

Grounded Bodies

177 Views, 3 Replies
07-15-2009 03:52 AM
I am unable to apply constraints because every body and component I create is grounded. How do I change this property?
Employee
jeff.strater
Message 2 of 4 (177 Views)

Re: Grounded Bodies

07-15-2009 07:41 AM in reply to: messt14
Can you explain a bit further what you are seeing in Fusion? How are you determining that the components and/or bodies are grounded? I'm pretty sure that Fusion doesn't ever ground components.

Just for clarification: There are two types of constraints in Fusion: Body Constraints (for driving the shape of a body), and Component Constraints (for positioning components). If you are trying to do assembly-type constraints, be sure that Component Constraints are selected (see attached picture).

Thanks,

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
Contributor
messt14
Message 3 of 4 (177 Views)

07-15-2009 08:22 AM in reply to: messt14
When I select a component to constrain, an anchor glyph appears. Tool tip says item is grounded. See attached.
Employee
jeff.strater
Message 4 of 4 (177 Views)

07-15-2009 08:34 AM in reply to: messt14
Oh, I see. Thanks for the quick response.

That icon and tooltip are very misleading (thank you for pointing this out). What it is trying to communicate is that, when you constrain two components, we temporarily ground the first so that the second moves to the first, instead of vice-versa. The components are not persistently grounded. You can actually go ahead and pick the second component at this point, and it all should work fine.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube