Inventor Fusion

tsosnoski
Message 1 of 5 (1,374 Views)

Fusion 360 Tutorial and What's the difference between Inventor and Fusion 360?

1374 Views, 4 Replies
11-28-2013 04:18 AM

About 10 years ago I did a ton of soild modeling.  I haven't done it in quite a while so I'm a bit out of the loop.  I would like to get back into it and the new Fusion 360 provides a great low cost way to get going considering I don't qualify for any sort of discount (student etc).  

I have two questions:

1.  Are there any recommended guides or tutorials for Fusion 360 yet? I would prefer a book but when I search online I find nothing for Fusion 360 but quite a bit for Inventor.  I looked all over amazon.com.  

2.  Is Fusion 360 the same thing as Inventor?  Is it simply the newest version of Inventor or are they different?  That would explain the lack of books for 360 if they happen to be the same thing.  

Thank you much!  

Board Manager
Phil.E
Message 2 of 5 (1,329 Views)

Re: Fusion 360 Tutorial and What's the difference between Inventor and Fusion 36

12-03-2013 04:17 PM in reply to: tsosnoski

Hi!

Fusion 360 was released earlier this year. The learning materials are all online.

Also, Fusion 360 is completely different from Inventor. It is a cloud based combination of industrial and mechanical design tools. It runs natively on Mac or Windows and the streaming installation is usually quite fast.

Check it out here: http://fusion360.autodesk.com/about

While you are there, have a look at the gallery to see what users are creating as well as the Learning section for videos, tutorials and basic help reference material. Let us know what you think!

And don't forget youtube, the Fusion 360 channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/AutodeskFusion360

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Fusion Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

brucecannon
Message 3 of 5 (1,313 Views)

Re: Fusion 360 Tutorial and What's the difference between Inventor and Fusion 36

12-04-2013 06:38 AM in reply to: Phil.E

Can you clarify specifically how Inventor and Fusion 360 differ, in terms of capabilities?  Can I do everything with Fusion 360 that I can do with inventor?  Even more specifically, I'm having a hard time understanding how to do exact, constraint- and parameter-based mechanical design with Fusion 360.  I'm not a CAD expert though, so may be just having a hard time transitioning from a SolidWorks modality, but in the couple of months I've ben tinkering with the toolset and cruising tutorials, I've not gotten it yet.   Thanks in advance!

Board Manager
Phil.E
Message 4 of 5 (1,307 Views)

12-04-2013 09:02 AM in reply to: brucecannon

I think Inventor or another parametric program are better suited for taking advantage of parametric parts to make large configurable assemblies. Once you have a 2k or 10k part assembly of a machine it's very nice to re-use all that work. But parametric assemblies are complicated and not necessary for most design jobs.

Fusion 360 also differs from Inventor in that your data is available at any computer that can run Fusion 360, which is most. You get T-spline shape tools. The design workflow is much faster because it is a 'direct' modeling tool. You can also run Fusion 360 on a Mac. You can work collaborativly on your designs with anyone you invite to the design.

Fusion 360 does not have parameters like Inventor. However, in Fusion 360 sketches there are constraints and dimensions to provide exact mechanical details. Assembly tools such as Joints and Motion Study provide analysis of your machine designs. 

Do you think there could be more learning materials for sketch constraints and assembly tools like Joints?

Here is a great example of traditional mechanical design. This assembly is fully manufacturable. Using Joints the assembly perfectly mimics the range of motion for all the components. Even the screw threads are all fully modeled. It's all in the images on the link below.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/stop-the-presses

In case you don't have time, here is a sample:

explode_detail.jpg

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Fusion Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

brucecannon
Message 5 of 5 (1,303 Views)

12-04-2013 11:03 AM in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify and educate me, Phil.  I'm hoping to learn that Fusion 360 can be my single tool for my relatively modest product design needs, and that I just need to relearn how to think about constraints v manufacturability. 

I do see how the tool can generate data for manufacturing, but I don't see yet how to effectively use direct manipulation if I cannot see, understand, measure, control and manipulate the outcome parametrically.  I haven't yet grasped how design reuse, iteration, assemblies, tolerance adjustment, modifications, etc. are done without a fully parametric system.

It's likely just a conceptual block for me personally, and I won't waste your time helping me learn the tool set.  My question was more just looking for verification that this is indeed an appropriate toolset for that type of work, before I sink a lot more time into it.  I'll do my due dilligence and spend a month or two digging deeper.  Thanks again for taking the time to offer advice.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube