Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Recognition

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mies07
544 Views, 4 Replies

Feature Recognition

Opened ipt using edit form. Launched Fusion. Placed countersunk hole. Returned to Inventor. How do I get this new hole recognized as a real hole feature, and tell it to be a #8-32 cnsnk clearance hole?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
schneik-adsk
in reply to: mies07

I am suprised at this coice in workflow. Fusion is not intended to replace the features that you can create in Inventor.

Can you help us understand why you choose to take this route and we can help provide some tips on better results?

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 5
mies07
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Your competition is SpaceClaim. I am trying to make the argument that our design engineers can use Fusion instead to do rapid proof-of-concept models without having to be Inventor experts and then, because of Inventor compatibility, bring their Fusion solid model into Inventor for drafting and detailing team to clean up (feature recognition) and quickly go to full-blown parts and assemblies ready for annotation and production.

The advantage of Fusion seems to be that we can preserve exisiting parametric data (which Space Claim cannot do) and still enjoy benefits of rapid solid modeling in a simplified modeling environment - in other words, leverage existing Inventor designs as the basis for new designs without having to turn our design engineers into Inventor experts.

I can approximate this if I open each individual part (ipt) directly in Fusion, making my edits, and saving as dwg, which allows me to use Change Manager in Inventor to convert Fusion hole to Inventor hole. However, this is extremely clunky. If I do this using the change form workflow from witihin Inventor, the dwg created in the Fusion Save operation (prior to Reurn to Inventor) is not recognized by Inventor as a Fusion dwg and I can't use Change Manager. See attached.

Unless, of course, I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 5
udayag
in reply to: mies07

If I understand you correctly, you would be satisfied if you could open an Inventor assembly in Fusion, make the edits in Fusion, and then incorporate those changes to individual Inventor parts through Change Manager. Would this work for you? 

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 5 of 5
mies07
in reply to: udayag

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that would work well for enabling us to leverage existing designs. What is needed to complete the toolset for our design engineers is a feature recognition tool for parts that were modeled from scratch in Fusion. That way, if the design engineer does need to create a new part that hadn't been previously modeled in Inventor, our drafting/modeling team could quickly turn the new Fusion part into a usable Inventor part with parametric features.

The idea is for the design engineers to be able to use Fusion almost as a standalone tool (so they don't have to be Inventor experts), that is nevertheless tightly integrated with Inventor  - and this has to include some sort of feature recogniton capability that can be used on Fusion originated files.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one out here that would like to see this happen. Even something as simple as adding a true hole tool in Fusion that allows us to size a hole according to ANSI standards, etc. and be recognized as such upon return to Inventor would be a big help.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report