Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted file 5 min saves

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
camaro9rs
897 Views, 8 Replies

Corrupted file 5 min saves

Have an inventor fusion software on my Macintosh. I was working on a file that was still in bodies we crashed and now it only has the two-dimensional information. I saved it every step how can I fix the file or revert back to the last save?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Phil.E
in reply to: camaro9rs

Sorry to hear that. Can you attach the file so we can look at it? If you aren't comfortable doing that, please email it to me at phil dot eichmiller at autodesk dot com.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
camaro9rs

Thank you for your time and the fast response. I have attached the file.

Message 4 of 9
Phil.E

Looking at your file there is no 3D information any longer. It was somehow saved in this condition.

Unfortunately, Inventor Fusion for Mac does not keep a version history like it's successor Fusion 360. It's up to you to keep backup copies, much like other desktop based CAD software. You can still work with this file and rebuild the bodies based on the available sketches. Use Export to capture the bodies as .SAT files and create a new assembly from those.

Also, if you like this program, you should try Fusion 360. It keeps version history that includes each save. You can always roll back to a previous version. It also has many more modeling features, including parametric controls. Like Inventor Fusion for Mac, it's also free (for non-commercial work).

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
kennymillar
in reply to: Phil.E

I too have found that Inventor currputs files on Mac OS X

I have been working on a design for some time, and I have kept many backup copies.

I can be working on a design with many bodies, and save it to various different file names as backups.

When I'm working on the file every seems OK, all bodies are present, and can be selected and edited etc, and then I exit fusion and restart and some bodies no longer appear, although they are still in the browser tree. Any attempt to click on them in the browser tree just causes Fusion to hang. Even if I go back in time through my backups those bodies are missing and cause Fusion to hang - which means they were corrupted some time ago, but it didn't become apparent until fusion was closed and re-opened. 

Your advice to try 360 doesn't make sense because it is practically un-usable here in the UK. I have 70 Mbps fibre broadband and even that isn't enough to let 360 work at any usable pace.

Attached is an example. Open the file and then try to show the 'finchbeams' components. Fusion will just hang. 

Tags (3)
Message 6 of 9
Phil.E
in reply to: kennymillar

Nice work!

I found that in Fusion 360 the file doesn't hang but the Finch beams bodies are in fact corrupt.

I think you could benefit from the stored versions and history based modeling in Fusion 360, and probably the parameters as well. And It's unlikely that we will update Inventor Fusion for Mac any time soon.

70 Mbps is plenty. Fusion 360 only uses the internet for open and save for your design files, and for installation or updates. There is an offline mode if you lose your internet. We have customers all over the world with varying connectivity. They produce many designs

Your performance issues may just be hardware related. There are settings for Mac that may help you.

Let me know if this helps!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 9
KennyMillar

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can try moving forward using 360, if it will let me remove the finch beams and re-draw them.

In Fusion I can't progress because I can't delete the corrupt objects, any attempt to do anything with them just hangs fusion.

Message 8 of 9
Phil.E
in reply to: KennyMillar

Good news! The finch beams can be deleted. I've opened and closed this file with no problems.

I'm glad to help you with anything you need moving to Fusion 360. Feel free to ask.

Loft_file_fixed..png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9
KennyMillar
in reply to: Phil.E

Excellent - thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report