Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining components for export/print

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
LeonMF
601 Views, 3 Replies

Combining components for export/print

Full disclosure, I'm completely new to 3D design and I've spent a couple of weeks figuring out the right tools and learning some of the basics.  Now that the OSX crash is behind us, I can actually save and load files. 🙂

My problem is that when I export the attached model as STL, ReplicatorG only sees the main body and does not see the cavity and entry point for the latching mechanism.  When loading the STL back into IF, the entire object is there.  So, I presume the problem to be in ReplicatorG but my simple workaround is to combine four components into one body and export that way.  I've spent about an hour trying different things and searching the internet/forums and can't figure this out.

Ack! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LeonMF
in reply to: LeonMF

I have a workaround.

1. Export as STL
  2. Load into FreeCad
  3. Export as STL
  4. Load with ReplicatorG

I'll test the build tonight when I get home.

Message 3 of 4
schneik-adsk

Try using gmesh to open the stl and then save as STL binary. This is something we are looking into.

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 4
LeonMF

Actually, I was a bit wrong earlier.  To get it to work I had to do the following:

1. Export as SAT from Inventor Fusion
  2. Open SAT in IF and export as STL
  3. Open STL in Freecad
  4. Save as native in Freecad
  5. Export from Freecad as STL

The print came out fine with some odd printing artifacts around the joints that probably shouldn't be there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report