Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Regular Inventor for Windows Open a File Created in Inventor Fusion for Mac?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Bill.Schmid
1236 Views, 2 Replies

Can Regular Inventor for Windows Open a File Created in Inventor Fusion for Mac?

Subject says it all.  I remember that Fusion for Mac has a new file extention and I can't remember if it will save to a format that regular Inventor will open.

Yes, I know I could look, but I use a Mac at home and regular Inventor at work.  I keep forgetting to check and record the Mac extentions to compare them with Inventor at work.  Thanks in advance to whoever can answer this for me.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
schneik-adsk
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

No. Inventor will be able to open Fusion files in a future update. The new extension for the preview is F3D.

In the meantime you can use, SAT or STEP. Not ideal but file interop has to be written from the ground up on Mac compatible technologies.

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 3
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: schneik-adsk

@schneik-adsk wrote:

No. Inventor will be able to open Fusion files in a future update. The new extension for the preview is F3D.

In the meantime you can use, SAT or STEP. Not ideal but file interop has to be written from the ground up on Mac compatible technologies.

Thank you for answering my question.  I'm confused though, by the second part of your answer.  "...file interop has to be written from the ground up..."  It's the first version of the program on the Mac.  That's about as "ground up" as you can get.  Sounds more like a concious choice to use a different file extension for the Mac version.  Is F3D to be the default Inventor Fusion file extension going forward and this version is just the first to get it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report