Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get one rule to wait for another rule to complete it's function.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
johnasp1
648 Views, 8 Replies

How to get one rule to wait for another rule to complete it's function.

I have a rule called 'ProcessPNG' that will create jpg and png images and sends them to a folder with a name.

I have another rule called 'Report' that will ProcessReport, which uses the images created and puts them into a word doc. I can run the 'ProcessPNG' rule first and it works, then when I run the 'Report' rule it works correctly also.

I need one rule that will process the 'ProcessPNG' rule first and wait for it to complete, then process the 'Report' rule.

Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Chris.Palmatier
in reply to: johnasp1

I typically have the image writing rule return the path to the image, then supply that rule name to the PictureFile parameter in the picture writer child. That way, when the picture writer child gets evaluated, it demands the value of my image writing rule. See the Office Sample in the ETO Samples project for an example.

Chris Palmatier
Customer Success Engineer
Inventor Engineer-to-Order

Message 3 of 9
johnasp
in reply to: Chris.Palmatier

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I set up my rules according to your response and can see when the picture writer child gets evaluated it demands the value of my image writing rule. That is now working, I am still having some problems

with crashing when I evaluate the 'report' rule. It would be helpful to see some examples.

You mentioned "See the Office Sample in the ETO Samples project for an example."

I search my folders and couldn't fine the sample file, can you give me a location where they should be

or is there a download link I may not have these files.

Thanks, John

Autodesk Intent™ Professional 2011

64-Bit Edition

Copyright © 2010 Autodesk, Inc.

Version 4.3 

Build: 482 Date: 4/26/2011

With

AutoCAD 2011

Message 4 of 9
Chris.Palmatier
in reply to: johnasp

Hi John,

The Office Sample is an Inventor sample. The use of the office designs is the same in any host, this sample just uses an Inventor model. 

To look at the sample, start Inventor and open the Intent Samples project. It should be in your projects list. Create a new Intent (mm) assembly, and set the root design to Office Sample.

Chris Palmatier

Message 5 of 9
johnasp1

Chris

This is the system that I am using:

Autodesk Intent™ Professional 2011

64-Bit Edition

Copyright © 2010 Autodesk, Inc.

Version 4.3 

Build: 482 Date: 4/26/2011

With

AutoCAD 2011

Since I don't have Inventor is there a way I can get the Office Sample for my system?

John

Message 6 of 9
Chris.Palmatier

We don't have a working sample for AutoCAD, but you can look at the designs by adding the Inventor samples to your library search path. On Win7 and Vista, you can find the Inventor Samples here:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Intent 2011\Inventor\Samples

The most interesting design for you will be WordDocument.iks

Chris Palmatier

Message 7 of 9
JackGregory

Rule DoIt As Any

ProcessPNG

End Rule

Piece of cake...

WIthin a rule, evaluations are procedural.

Message 8 of 9
Jon.Balgley

BTW the rule-name above is "doit" (with an "i") not "DOLT" (with an "L").  The font makes it look bad.  Obviously, no insult was intended!Smiley Happy

Jon Balgley
Message 9 of 9
johnasp1
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

Here is an example of a rule that writes a png file to a folder(below).When I envoke this rule it will not run until

I mouse over the Model View. As soon as I mouse over the Model view it runs. Could there be something in my settings that requires this.

Rule ACADPNGOut As Any
acad_Command({"Model" })
acad_Command({"Filedia", "0"}) 'Added
acad_Command({"-View", "Restore", "CBCIso"})'Added
acad_command({"Zoom", "Extents"})'Added
acad_command({"PERSPECTIVE", "1"})'Added
acad_command({"PNGOUT", PNGFileName,"ALL", ""})
acad_Command({"-View", "Orthographic", "Front"})
acad_command({"PERSPECTIVE", "0"})
Return PNGFileName
End Rule

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report