Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"My first Add-In" unloaded

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
askokk
610 Views, 2 Replies

"My first Add-In" unloaded

Hi!

I created an add-in following this quide http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/10/converting-vba-auto-macros-to-an-add-in.html

As most (read: all) tutorials out there for beginners seem to be outdated I made few exceptions that Im not quite sure about:

1) I skipped "Editing the Name and Description of the Add-In" part.

2) In "Cleaning Up" part I left out following line: Marshal.ReleaseComObject(m_appEvents)

After Build I copied dll file to inventor bin  folder and manifest file to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Addins

I registred dll (allthough it seems that it is not nessecary because it is automatically registred on Add-In creation?)

Everything works fine on this PC.

Now when I try to use this same Add-In on different PC. Also copying dll and manifest files and registering dll with RegAsm.exe. Add-In shows up "UNLOADED".

I used "Autodesk 2015 AddIn" Template and framework 4.0

Add-In works with this PC (the one that created the Add-In):

Windows 8 64bit

Visual Basic 2010 Express

Inventor 2014 & 2015 (works on both)

The other PC:

Windows 7 64bit

Inventor 2014

I assume that the problem is in registering DLL file?

(is there any good material about registering DLL properly that is not 10 years old. When do I have to register dll? Any preparations needed before DLL can be registrated? RegAsm.exe or RegSvcs.exe.. ?)

Or I left out something important?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
askokk
in reply to: askokk

UPDATE:

Installed visual basic 2010 express to the PC that wasnt able to run Add-In.

Opened project and built it in that PC.

Copied DLL and manifest files.

and what do you know.. IT WORKS!

Now I have to get this Add-In running on several other computers. Any other way to do this than install VB2010 and build Add-In in every single one of them?

Now Im quite sure that the issue is in registering some DLL files.  Any information about that? Can somebody list all things that are required for a Add-In to run? IS Visual Basic must have? Net framework version installed? Any other "obvious" things? Is DLL signing and strong name required?

Message 3 of 3
rjay75
in reply to: askokk

If you're using the manifest file there's no need to register the DLL. Look in the API help at the topic Creating an Inventor Add-in very carefully. It outlines the manifest and the appropriate directories to put files in. Your dll's does not need to be place in the Inventor bin folder. (Nothing for your addin should be added here.)

If it's running when VS is installed and not before I would look at what .NET framework the add-in is targeting and make sure the framework is installed on the other machines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report