Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.net addin - final stages

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
NachitoMax
444 Views, 6 Replies

.net addin - final stages

Hi

I have made various tools now for my inventor in .net. I have followed many guides but what seems to lack most is how to get your addin into inventor.

How do I change it to a dll
How do I create the ribbon buttons and link images

Is them any documentation that describes this part? My apps are windows forms applications and I can change them to class objects quite easily which I believe is what I need to do but the ribbon association is the most important / difficult part.

Can anybody direct me to a good resource?

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mslosar
in reply to: NachitoMax

If you're using the templates that come with inventor, then it's a matter of making sure your paths are right in visual studio and hitting the build button.

That generates the dll and addin file.

The addin file is a text file that goes under c:\program data\autodesk\inventor 2013\addins (or something close to that path as it's from memory)

The addin file also has a line telling inventor where the dll you created resides, for example C:\MyAddins. Put your dll in that folder and on next run, Inventor will load the addin file see it's pointing to MyAddins and then load the dll file specified.

Message 3 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: mslosar

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise that inventor itself came with templates. I downloaded and installed the developer tools a while ago but haven't found templates in there either. I downloaded a template file from autodesk which is what I used.

The template helps me connect to inventor but not listed in the addins as the we page described. Currently, I changed my app to a windows form so that I could see it running and check for errors.

Any chance you could post or send the template file you refer to? I could transfer everything over and build from there.

Your help is appreciated 🙂 I'll send you a copy of my finished tool foc 🙂 it creates drawing sheets for each part in an assembly with view selection options and a choice between an assembly drawing layout and job pack / shop floor layouts with other cool functions 🙂

Cheers

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

i found the wizard installer (which i apparently missed when i looked before lol). i tried to install it but it says that it cant find visual studio. i have visual studio express. Would you by chance be able to send the template file that gets installed so that i can use that?

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

i have the file extracted and i am using the same inventor addin. however, when i build my app as a class into a dll, nothing gets registered into the 'Addins' part of inventor as documentation and videos suggest. therefore, what could i be doing wrong?

This highlighted file

addin.JPG

was NOT a part of my original Inventor project template. i copied it into my file but couldnt reference it as i got an error. Can anyone give me a bit of advice please?

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

the text inside the addin is as follows-

<Addin Type="Standard">
  <!--Created for Autodesk Inventor Version 17.0-->
  <ClassId>{$guid1$}</ClassId>
  <ClientId>{$guid1$}</ClientId>
  <DisplayName>$safeprojectname$</DisplayName>
  <Description>$safeprojectname$</Description>
  <Assembly>$safeprojectname$.dll</Assembly>
  <LoadOnStartUp>1</LoadOnStartUp>
  <UserUnloadable>1</UserUnloadable>
  <Hidden>0</Hidden>
  <SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan>16..</SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan>
  <DataVersion>1</DataVersion>
  <UserInterfaceVersion>1</UserInterfaceVersion>
</Addin>

what line do you refer to when you say this?-

The addin file also has a line telling inventor where the dll you created resides, for example C:\MyAddins. Put your dll in that folder and on next run, Inventor will load the addin file see it's pointing to MyAddins and then load the dll file specified.

Thanks

Nacho

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

i have figured this out now 🙂

Thanks

Nacho

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report