Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic driven from sub assembly

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ruairi.mulligan
6976 Views, 1 Reply

iLogic driven from sub assembly

Hi guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with a bit of code.

I've spent several hours going in circles and now I'm even more confused.

I'd greatly appreciate any help at all. 

I have a parent assembly that contains multiple sub assemblies, two of which need to synchornise with each other.

In the parent assembly, I have created a user form that controls the sizes and quantities of all the different sub assemblies.

Sub assembly 1 contains a bracket for supporting 4 rows of pipes.

Based on the width selected from the main parent assembly, the length of this bracket can vary.

The spacing of the 4 mounting positions is also determined from the length of the bracket.

Sub assembly 2 is an assembly containing all the pipes.

The pipes are spaced apart to suit the bracket using a component pattern, and it is this distance that I want to control from the parent  assembly.

This is just one of the basic scripts I've tried.

Pipe_Spacing=Parameter("SubAssembly1:1", "Pipe_Spacing_A")

Parameter("Piping assembly:1", "Pipe_Spacing_B")=Pipe_Spacing

Pipe_Spacing_A is the spacing of the bracket

Pipe_Spacing_B is the component pattern in the piping assembly

Pipe_Spacing is the parameter in the parent assembly to be driven by the bracket parameters.

I have very little iLogic experience & have being learning as I go along with this project.

My best guess is that the code can't loop back on itself but I was hoping someone might know a way around it.

On a slightly different note, I have also noticed that the sub assemblies don't update properly.

If I adjust the width to X and regenerate the model, some of the sub assembly updates.

To fully update, I have to go back into the user form, change the size to Y & then change it back again to X and then regenerate. This is really bugging me, but if I have to, I can live with it.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
adam.nagy
in reply to: ruairi.mulligan

Hi,

Is the title correct?

As I understand you are actually trying to drive everything from the main assembly - and that should be OK.

What do you mean by you are trying to drive things FROM the subassembly? - it's not completely clear to me.

The best might be if you could provide some very basic sample documents that could be used to reproduce things and also the exact steps to follow.

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report