Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic External Rules Question

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ComputerGuru666
629 Views, 1 Reply

iLogic External Rules Question

Ok over the last year I have implemented the use of iLogic using internal rules in our templates that prompt users to fill out the correct iProperties along with many other things however as we continue moving forward we are finding small problems that I continue to tweak however those tweaks dont show up in the files already created. So I was thinking of programming the templates with external rules so that once implemented anytime I make a change the change is global. Can anyone comment on this and whether or not I can use external rules to fill out iProperties, change parameters and so on.

For example here is how our assembly template works

User selecets the Standard.IAM from templates

once the new file is open they click the "iTrigger" button to prompt the iLogic Form (User Interface *see attached picture*)

The first thing they have to do is select the type of Assembly for this new assembly

Based on this selection the iProperty fields that need to be filled out are Enabled on the form for the user to input the information

It is these iProperty fields that fill out the B.O.M.s and title blocks which then the B.O.M.s are exported to excel and sent off to the purchaser so they can order the neccessary purchased items for the job. Which is why I need to make sure template updates are global so that when I make a change all the content in our purchased components library (which is a directory on our server that is filled with all kinds of items from SMC, Reid, McMaster Carr, etc) receive these updates so users dont need to re import these items with the new template every time I make a change.

Clear as mud right? 🙂 

Thank you

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 Socket 2011
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Z-Series 32 gig quad channel of RAM 1800MHz OCed to 2133MHz
Video Card: 2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Running Six (6) Monitors)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex IV 256 GB Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex III 120 GB Solid State Drive
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
adam.nagy
in reply to: ComputerGuru666

HI there,

Did you try? 🙂

That would be the simplest, just write some very basic stuff and see if it works ok.

I created an external rule that sets the Part Number of the file and it worked fine when a new document was created using the template I made which had its "New Document" event set to that external rule:

<extrule>

iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number") = ThisDoc.Document.DisplayName

</extrule>

So if I understood correctly what you want, then yes, that seems possible.

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report