Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic Configuration - Where Stored?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
SBix26
2395 Views, 12 Replies

iLogic Configuration - Where Stored?

I have added a search folder for external rules, but I cannot figure out where that information is stored.  I would like to set this for all users, so we can all share the external rules, but can't find it.  I've looked in the registry, looked in Documents & Settings (WinXP), but so far no good.  Any help?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MjDeck
in reply to: SBix26

The settings are stored in a directory that depends on:

- Inventor version

- Windows version

- user name

If you only want to change one external rules search folder, it's probably easier to manually enter it in the dialog for each machine.

Here's a typical settings location:

C:\Users\deckm\AppData\Local\Autodesk,_Inc.\DefaultDomain_Path_x5nyxfubr3fxchypjp0dclw0mzyz0ig3\Autodesk®_Inventor®_2011\user.config 

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: MjDeck

Yep, I missed that one.  You're right, it's a lot easier to type in or navigate to a search path for each user than to spread it any other way.  In my particular case, it would be really nice if the iLogic search path would be a document option, so that the template(s) would carry that information.  Application options would be another helpful location for it, since we already import our own particular file locations that way.  There's always the wishlist, I guess.

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 13
CadUser46

Am i still right in thinking this still cannot be included in a deployment application options?  Is there a registry value i can write to?

Each user has to set this themselves?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/iLogic-External-Rules-Directory-Configuration/m-p/26...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 5 of 13
MjDeck
in reply to: CadUser46

Yes, each user has to set it themselves.  Us you say, we should definitely improve this.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
jdkriek

Setting it manually on each machine may be ok for a very small group of users. But what about 100-200 users?

Since there's still no automated options to do this, I decided to share how I approach it.

For Admins:

1. Go To Tools > Options > iLogic Config > Add the path to your iLogic scripts.

2. Go To Manage > iLogic Browser > External Rules Tab > Add all your external rules to this list.

3. Close Inventor

4. Navigate To The Appropriate Path Below

2011:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_x5nyxfubr3fxchypjp0dclw0mzyz0ig3\Autodesk®_Inventor®_2011\user.config

2012:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_2awpc0kafrjcv03lo0bxxge1dqftrp20\Autodesk®_Inventor®_2012\user.config

2013:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_auy0uw3qwqde4zs0rm1cz1fkj5cf54lq\Autodesk®_Inventor®_2013\user.config

5. Verify the paths under "ExternalRuleFilenames" and "ExternalRuleDirs"

Note: if the paths contain mapped drives you should edit it to the hard path.

6. Copy user.config to a Network location

7. This part is up to you, but I choose to simply trigger a CMD file apon Inventor startup that copys the config file from the network location to where Inventor loads it.

:: Config AUTODE~1
C: CD C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Autodesk,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_x5nyxfubr3fxchypjp0dclw0mzyz0ig3 :: AUTODE~1 is shortname for Autodesk®_Inventor®_2011 del "AUTODE~1\user.config" copy /Y "\\server\Scripts\user.config" "AUTODE~1"

Hope this helps!

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
Josh_Hunt
in reply to: jdkriek

Jonathan

That's precisely how I want to do it (and other things). By what method are you triggering the CMD upon Inventor Startup?

@jdkriek wrote:

7. This part is up to you, but I choose to simply trigger a CMD file apon Inventor startup that copys the config file from the network location to where Inventor loads it.

Josh Hunt
Message 8 of 13
Josh_Hunt
in reply to: jdkriek

For those of you who are coding I found that the most simplified path is...

Inventor 2014

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_ow5451lkj52xbizxdtghrf2pdfathyhr\Autodesk®_Inventor®_2014\user.config

Josh Hunt
Message 9 of 13
rhenstenburg

This is an old thread but I liked the response of @MjDeck stating that this should be improved.  In Inv2022, I think this is STILL the case.

My thought is to incorporate the iLogic Configuration into the Application Options. (Configuration Options are all personal settings so it makes sense that this can be imported/exported separately). iLogic is a mixed bag ... could be personal, could be corporate. Application Options are also a mixed bag (personal preference and corporate requirements).

At my company, I am the only one rolling out iLogic rules to the company. For new users (or those reinstalling), I have created an Application Options XML file that ONLY has the settings that we require EVERYONE to have (other settings are NOT overwritten). It would be nice if the iLogic Configuration could be part of this App Options XML file.

Currently the iLogic Configuration can be written to its own XML file but what is the point? The person loading the info has to be told how to navigate to the iLogic Configuration dialog.  At that point, just tell the user what to enter (rather than navigating to an XML file and importing).  Being part of the Application Options, this can be handled in one shot.

Inventor Pro / Vault Basic
Message 10 of 13
MjDeck
in reply to: rhenstenburg

@rhenstenburg , in Inventor 2022 and later versions, the iLogic external rule directories option is stored in the Application Options XML file (together with other iLogic options). You still edit these settings in the separate iLogic dialog, but behind the scenes they are stored with the rest of the application options.

Yes, you can still write them to their own XML file. But you can also share them in the main Application Options file.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
rhenstenburg

My bad. I see it now. This is perfect!

I guess the last time I checked this was in 2020 (we only install even numbered versions).

Thanks!!!
Inventor Pro / Vault Basic
Message 12 of 13

But I'm still missing the settings for the iLogic protocol.

Please vote for:
Add all Options from the iLogic advanced iLogic-configuration 

Message 13 of 13

Type this

%appdata%\Autodesk\Inventor XXXX\ilogicpreferencecs\iLogicOptions.xml

the xxxx is the version of inventor 

it is inventor 2021 it will be like this 

%appdata%\Autodesk\Inventor 2021\ilogicpreferencecs\iLogicOptions.xml

the file iLogicOptions.xml have location of the extral. ilogic folder in it 

hope this help 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report