Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VS 2010 and Inventor 2013

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nmunro
1313 Views, 10 Replies

VS 2010 and Inventor 2013

Is anyone else seeing this.

Win64

Inventor 2013

VS 2010 Pro, SP1

Running an add-in project using Start Debuggin (F5).

Inventor starts without issue and add-in is loaded. If I open a drawing file, the file loads and I can access the add-in commands within a few seconds. However, if I open a part or assembly file, Inventor hangs for approximately 2 minutes before becoming responsive. I can access the add in commands once Inventor responds.

I can work around this by starting Inventor and loading a part or assembly (loads quickly), and then attaching to the Inventor process.

The problem initially resulted in the "Disconnected Context" error that has been discussed in the past so I have turned off capture of that exception. In using Perfmon, it appears that Inventor is spending most of this time loading and reloading the new material libraries and environments (about 90 seconds worth).

Anyone have and suggestions other than what I am already doing (managable, but frustrating)?

Neil

https://c3mcad.com

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
PiazzaD
in reply to: nmunro

Same problem in every PC of our company. Very annoying: takes ages to debug. We also noticed it seems is reading material libraries and writing temp files when hunging.

Message 3 of 11
nmunro
in reply to: PiazzaD

I've sent in a support request to ADN, I'll report back anything I hear. Glad to see it is not just me.

Message 4 of 11
philippe.leefsma

Hi Neil,

The development team confirmed the issue and will be looking into it.

I unfortunately cannot give you any more precise time frame about when the fix will come.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 11

Hi,

any new Informations?

is very Important!

thx

Mario

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

I have the same annoying problem, can you confirm a solution in a near future. Because it's really a problem to develop an API.

Thanks to update the information!

Israel Marin

Logiflex

Message 7 of 11

Hi All,

Unfortunately a definitive fix for that behavior won't appear until the 2014 release, however the following workaround can be used for 2013:

The behavioris a side effect of the consistent material that were added in Inventor 2013. Turning off the material and appearance in the drop-down list in the QAT may eliminate the delay. This is done by using the “Customize Quick Access Toolbar” in the affected environments. Uncheck “Materials” and “Appearance Override”.

material.jpg

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 8 of 11
nmunro
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Thanks Phiippe, it is a bit slower than the attach to process method but is a big improvement.

Message 9 of 11

Thanks, it's a good solution for me, I don't use it anyway...

-------------------------------------
Israël Marin
Programmeur | Programmer
Logiflex
Message 10 of 11
bsee1

An alternative to this would be to attach to process(as mentioned above) after Inventor is running.  Keyboard shortcuts to speed this up are ctrl-alt-p, then type "Inv" which should bring the dropdown onto Inventor, then enter.

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Message 11 of 11
nmunro
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

I thought the plan was to have this fixed in 2014. It is a bit better but still a complete pig compared to the attach to process method.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report