Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB.NET or iLogic, which should I use? (Newbie Question)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JimStrenk
484 Views, 4 Replies

VB.NET or iLogic, which should I use? (Newbie Question)

Being a real newbie, I have no idea which platform to use in order to program primarily for Inventor 2011 Professional.

Is there a difference?

When should I use one over the other?

I have two programs I wish to write.

1) While writing text notes within a drawing, I'm able to insert the model weight.  It shows up as x.xx lbmass.  I wish to replace lbmass with LBS.  How do I go about doing that?

2) While writing text notes within a drawing, I'm able to insert the model material.  It show up as Steel, Mild.  I wish to change the material so that it reads STEEL, MILD or better yet, MILD STEEL.  I want the material name shown in Capital Letters.  How do I do that?

I've done a lot of reading today and still don't know how to write either program or even just start. Smiley Mad

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mike_Maenpaa
in reply to: JimStrenk

2) You don't need any code for the material to read MILD STEEL. In your material library selet Steel, Mild, then click New and change the text to MILD STEEL and activate it.

Mike

Message 3 of 5
JimStrenk

Thanks Mike for the reply!  Quite frankly, I had already considered that idea.  And if I change descriptions on an as need basis, your suggestion works just fine.

I was thinking more in terms of a "batch process" where the entire materials database could get there names changed.  Any thoughts on "batch processing"?

The lbmass unit designation is a bit more troubling.  The other units seem to be formatted properly.  Kilogram produces kg and gram produces g.  I'm looking for a way to change lbmass to LBS.  Is there anyway to do that?

Anyone else care to chime in on when iLogic or VB.net (VBA) be used?

Thanks again for the reply, it is appreciated!

Jim

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
Message 4 of 5
nttoan8187

Personnally, an iLogic function is an abbreviated code of VB.NET (or VBA). So, you can choose both to study; one can supply for the other. Install MSDN and you can read useful How Do I? Help.

I am self study API now, but try and try, we can solve the problem.......if we cann't, we can ask in this forumSmiley Very Happy

Please mark this answer as Problem Solved if it solves your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toan
Inventor API
Message 5 of 5
Mike_Maenpaa

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of a "batch process" where the entire materials database could get there names changed.  Any thoughts on "batch processing"?

See this thread for assigning the material.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Change-current-active-material/m-p/2589485/highlight/true#M30401

Try Kent Keller's KWiKBatch Run for batch processing

www.kwikmcad.com

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report