Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble inserting Iparts into assemblys

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
AMN3161
408 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble inserting Iparts into assemblys

Ok i created a Ipart with like 14 different configurations now it operates smoothly within the part. Now once i insert it into a assembly it wont let me chance the configuration. I heard there was a problem like this but i thought it was only when you insert a part into a assembly and change it into a ipart while its still within a assembly. Now my part never was in a assembly. Ill upload it and let me know if you have the same issue. Once i drop the part it doesnt give me the option to choose a confguration and when i click the configuration in the itable it still doesnt change it. Now this is only within a assembly, please help i put way to much work into this to have it not work

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AMN3161
in reply to: AMN3161

Ignore that custom parameter colume i was playing and accidently saved it before i uploaded it. The issue was present before that

Message 3 of 10
dean.morrison

Not sure what your problem is. I am able to insert your ipart into an assembly and select one of the configs.

One thing i suggest is to make one of your columns in the table a key, that way there is only 1 selection.

(if you dont set a key, it displays all values)

All i did was to insert the part into an assembly, in the place custom ipart dialog, on the keys tab, select member and place.

repeat process, and have different members inserted in the same assembly.

I have attached your file with the key added.

Also note when you upload files, roll the EOP marker up, as you can see the size difference!

Dont forget to roll it back down once you save it.

Hope that helps.

Dean.

Message 4 of 10

oops i thought the size was alot smaller... oh well, good luck anyway.

Message 5 of 10
AMN3161
in reply to: dean.morrison

just making sure inserting a custom ipart is no different then inserting a regular part right? Assembly-Place-Then select your file right? then that dialog box should pop up?

Message 6 of 10
dean.morrison

yeah thats exactly right.

Also forgot to mention -

if you leave the custom parameter column the ipart will generate files in your project workspace.

if you change this column it will generate files in a folder where the ipart lives.

Message 7 of 10
AMN3161

Wait this may be my issue, possibly I am pulling my ipart and its not bringing all of its indivual members with it? but when im within the ipart its self its can find its members. But when im in assembly it cant find the members just the defuat member it was last opened with. Could this be my issue? and if so how do you fix this

Message 8 of 10
AMN3161

because this ipart has like 4 custom parameters along with some ilogic blended into it

Message 9 of 10
dean.morrison

I have absolutely no idea why it wont work for you. It works fine for me.

You had set one of your table columns as a custom parameter column, i was just giving you some idea of what this does.

It still works for me whether it is set or not.

To give you an idea of what i am talking about, i use iparts as library parts. eg. flanges, pipes, elbows, tubes, fittings etc

Flanges, elbows, fittings etc do not have any columns set as custom parameters, so they generate files in a folder in their locations (in my library)

Things that have a length such as pipes, tubes sections etc have a length column set as a custom parameter,

when i insert the ipart into an assembly i get to choose from the keys i have set, and then type in a figure for my custom parameter (Length) - then i get a pipe or whatever at the length i specify. These files are generated into my project workspace, and not into my ipart library like the ones without this custom parameter.

I hope that clears up what i was referring to, and by no means stops anything from working, it just does it in a different way

I really dont understand what you are doing wrong, but like i said it works the same as all of my iparts that i use, and i have hundereds of them!

Good luck..

Message 10 of 10
guru.srs

Not sure if it is too late. I had similar problem. This is what i did:

1. When you add a iPart to Assembly, it asks to choose which member you want to insert.
  2. Inventor creates / generates new part for the ipart row that you choose.
  3. I replaced the part in assembly with ipart (Ctl+H)
  4. Repeated same for each iPart
  5. New assembly has all the iPart reference.

I then saved / packngo the assembly to new folder (check if iPart iproperties indicate to new path)

Run a macro to open each ipart and delete table, save and close.

This way I can generate new assembly with different configuration of parts.

Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report