Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to Inventor: Wait!

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
1823 Views, 25 Replies

Talking to Inventor: Wait!

I'm working on a replace program from the VBA editor. What I'm trying to do now is tie this all together. A set of files is renamed. That part is most of my program. From there, it allows you to select your assembly using an open file dialog and click open. When you open it it uses a silent operation to skip the "Oh no! I lost your files!" box. Now I'm on my link resolve issue.

So what I have is say, a couple files named:

UglyPonies-001.ipt

UglyPonies-002.ipt

UglyPonies-003.ipt

I've now renamed them to:
PrettyPonies-001.ipt

PrettyPonies-002.ipt

PrettyPonies-003.ipt

and I've opened up:

PrettyPonies-004.iam

To identify these files, I have two modules called OldNameiLoop and NewNameiLoop. It concatenates a file path adding on a suffix and adding one to it each time. Originally I had a MsgBox set up to display this file name, but I've now deleted it. I will post the codes below. So what I'm trying to do now is basically tell Inventor to replace the component OldNamePath with NewNamePath and then add i + 1 to the prefix name and do that same with that path. Anyone have any idea of how to tell Inventor to do that?

OldNameiLoop:

Option Explicit

Public Sub OldNameiLoop()

Dim i As Double
    Dim NameStr2 As String
    Dim OldNamePath As String

NameStr2 = Renamer.Old_Name_Display.Text
    OldNamePath = NameStr & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

Do While i < 99
    i = i + 1
        If 'Something Happens Here' Then
        '3-character string created by using the Right() function
    Next i
        Else: Exit Sub
        End If

Loop
    End Sub

NewNameiLoop:

Option Explicit

Public Function NewNameiLoop()

Dim i As Double
    Dim NameStr As String
    Dim NewNamePath As String

NameStr = Renamer.New_Name.Text
    NewNamePath = Renamer.Path_Text.Text & "\" + NameStr & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

Do While i < 99                               'Counts with the file name up to -099
    i = i + 1
        If 'Something happens here' Then
    Loop

Else: Exit Function

End If

End Function

ReplaceComponent:

Option Explicit

Public Function ReplaceComponent()

Dim oOccurrence As ComponentOccurrence
    Set oOccurrence = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences.OldNamePath
    oOccurrence.Replace NewNamePath, True

End Function

This all links to UserForm3 when the user clicks "Open":

Private Sub Open_Button_Click()

ThisApplication.SilentOperation = True                'Suppresses the resolve links dialog

Dim myPath As String
    myPath = FileName.Text                                              'Gets the string, FileName, from module 1
    Dim Shell As Object
    Set Shell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Shell.Open (myPath)                                                      'Opens selected file

Resolve_and_Open.Hide                                               'Hides module

ReplaceComponent

End Sub

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am going to post my code in case anyone has any ideas and would like to try them. Here is the .ivb, attached. I left the Module in question as "Module1"

Message 22 of 26
DeerSpotter

John Hurt (War Doctor) - Doctor Who, my gf's fav show. 😉 you picked the right quote. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: DeerSpotter

I thought so 🙂 Love that show

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous

I think I'm going to move this to a new thread. It doesn't make much sense here anymore

Message 25 of 26
adam.nagy

You're planning to continue this in a "Doctor Who" thread? 😉

I've looked at the code and the problem seems to be that there is no ActiveDocument at the moment of the ReplaceReference function being called.

I only provided that code to give an idea about what to do.

You probably know better the logic of your application, but basically you would need to open up the assembly file:

Dim doc As Document
    Set doc = ThisApplication.Documents.Open(Resolve_and_Open.FileName, False) ' you can open it invisible too

Do While i < 99

Dim f As File
    'Set f = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.File
    Set f = doc.File

Dim fd As FileDescriptor
    For Each fd In f.ReferencedFileDescriptors
        If fd.FullFileName = OldNamePath Then
            fd.ReplaceReference (NewNamePath)
        End If
        Next
    Loop
    doc.Save
    doc.Close

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 26 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hahaha not so sure I do know the logic of my own code. I'm so new to this, it's a wonder I've made it this far in the program.

That is indeed the problem. I've been working with rjay in this thread on that. He's recommending I basically change the workflow of the whole code. I would really rather not since I've been working on this for two months and would hate to scrap it, but I guess it happens sometimes.

Really the only problem left is that it isn't recognizing this line in his suggested code:

fd.ReplaceReference (NewFileName)

So that's unfortunate. I think the whole thing would work if that one line would work. Oh, the woes of VBA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report