Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Style and Standard Editor

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
samsulhadi
8994 Views, 7 Replies

Style and Standard Editor

Why did my Custom New Standard won't be able to be a Default Standard when I create a new drawing file?

especially DimStyle...it has appear there in the "Style" list, But it is not as a default and makes me editing manually to change the DimStyle. And its happened to all my custom setting like Balloon, Note, Hatch etc.

Please anyone help me.

Regards , Samsul.

Samsul Standard Inventor copy.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
YuhanZhang
in reply to: samsulhadi

To make a Standard style the default style for a new created drawing document you have to pre-define this in the template file, i.e. you can do this as below:

1. Make sure the Use Style Library is Read-Write for current project.

2. Open the drawing template(usually the ...\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Templates\Standard.idw).

3. Go to the Style and Standard Editor, and activate the Standard style(like Samsul Standard), and then click the Object Defaults tab, and find the Active Object Defaults style, and click the edit button.

4. Now in the Object Defaults style, change an Object Style for an Object Type(like you can change the Linear Dimension Object Style to your Samsul Dim).

5. Save changes to the styles, and also make you right-click the styles(Dimension, Object Defaults, Standard styles) that you just made changes and choose Save to Style Library.

6. Save the template document.

7. Now new a drawing document based on the template and verify that the standard and linear dimension style is now using yours.

For other styles you can follow above steps to make yours default styles in the drawing template.

Hope this helps.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
samsulhadi
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Thank you very much Mr.Zhang you saved my life Man Very Happy

Message 4 of 8
dirtcat

Is it possible to do this without the use of an IPJ?  I work exclusively in sheetmetal and create several job files with an .ipt that may overlap into other files and while I have not yet tried to migrate these files using an IPJ I would think it will be difficult. Especially if the k-factors and bend allowances are different.

Is there an option to make the Style Library read/write without creating an IPJ?

Thank You,

Tonya Sweeting

dirtcat 

Message 5 of 8
YuhanZhang
in reply to: dirtcat

If you don't use a document to edit styles, you can find the styles are defined in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\, like the SheetMetalRules.xml, you can edit these files in a text/xml editor. Hope this helps.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
dirtcat

Thank you for the reply Rocky but I was wishing for a simpler fix to my editing. I seem to spend more time with customizing styles per document than I do actual draw time. A template would be easiest but the Style Library won't allow it. And if I did use an IPJ wouldn't I have to define my style for each new project? Kinda makes it redundant to try to save styles to a template. 

Thanks though

Tonya Sweeting

Message 7 of 8
YuhanZhang
in reply to: dirtcat

Hi Tonya,

It does not mean a Style you define and save it to Library can only be used for the project, the Style Library can be shared for any project. As default the Style Library is located in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 20xx\Design Data\", if you define a new style in it, and you can use it for new projects if they use the same Style Library. 

Hope this clears.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
dirtcat

Oh! I get it now...DUH! I was confusing a style with a template. 

Thank You,

Tonya Sweeting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report