Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone app, with model view window

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
938 Views, 10 Replies

Stand alone app, with model view window

Hi All,

I've started working on a project but I'm a little out of practice. I need to create a standalone application, with a window to view the active model. Essentially, it'll be a viewer tool with some other minor functionality for interrogation.

I recall seeing an example from Brian Ekins (if I recall correctly) where he used the Apprentice Server to print model output to an image on the VB.net form window, but I can't find this example.

Alternatively, Is there a way for me to add a viewer window to my form? Like an InventorViewWindow Control or something?

I've spent the last day or so searching, but nothing really useful has surfaced.

Appreciate any assistance.

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

AU 2011 Understanding What Autodesk Inventor Apprentice Can Do for You

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=9647

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for that, I'll take a look just as soon as I get a few mins spare.

Are you aware of any options using Inventor (not apprentice server) to solve my problem?

Regards

Message 4 of 11
philippe.leefsma

Hi Gerrard,

There is a viewer ActiveX control that is available if you install Inventor or Apprentice. This seems to be what you're looking for. Attached is a VB.Net sample.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Philippe,

I tried to open the example you've attached, but it appeared to be missing some COM references.. There were 3 COM reference there, only one of which was the Autodesk Inventor Type Library, I couldn't view the other two. I'm reasonably sure I have Inventor and the SDK installed correctly, can you attach a screenshot of the references for that project, or list them out?

Thanks and Regards

Message 6 of 11
philippe.leefsma

Hi Gerrard,

In Visual Studio, try adding the Autodesk Inventor View Control to your toolbox (Choose Toolbox Items...).

Here is a pic of this item and my references.

I hope it helps,

Philippe.

img.png

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Philippe,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I still can't find that COM reference. I've done some research, and realise that I need to register the InventorViewCtrl.ocx file manually (from ModTheMachine), but it's still not visible.

Are there any other pre-requisites I need to be aware of before I can use this control?

Regards

Message 8 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

I'm using Inventor 2013, and yes, I've tried regstering the .ocx file.

Regards

Message 10 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Sorry, I have no idea then. The chapter of that post on ModTheMachine is written by me. I did test on my Win 7 64 with Inventor 2013. It worked well at my side. What I referred to is another post 

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2012/05/inventor-view-control-is-not-registered-on-inven...

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Hi all,

Just a quick update. After revisiting this issue, I found where I was going wrong... 

As Xiaodong pointed out, I needed to register the .ocx file from the <Inventor>\Bin\Bin32\ path, NOT <Inventor>\Bin\ as I had done originally... Unfortunately I just glazed over your response the first time I read it.

Just a point to note, but there doesn't seem to be any reference to the full path for that .ocx file mentioned on ModtheMachine or the other blog, which wouldn't be so critical except that there's several InventorViewCtrl.ocx files installed...

Now just to test to see whether it does what I need Smiley Wink

I'll be sure to read response twice in the future too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report