Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch within Drawing View Loses Dimension Reference

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nickv02
446 Views, 4 Replies

Sketch within Drawing View Loses Dimension Reference

I have a VB program that auto updates the size of a door and frame assembly, and in turn, updates the shop drawings to reflect this change.  I have a view on my shop drawing that I have drawn a sketch in.  I start the sketch, add my dimensions, and I use 'Project Geometry' to project the edges of the actual part around the sketch to constrain my sketch and keep it in place.  The problem is, as the program runs, and the door/frame changes height, the sketch loses it's dimensional references to the projected geometry.  When I go back and reopen the drawing after running the program, all the dimensions that went to the projected geometry are gone. 

Is there another way to anchor a sketch to a drawing view part instead of dimensioning to projected geometries?  This doesn't seem to be working, and I've tried it every which way I can think of.  Oddly enough, I have another sketch in a different view that is set up the same way, and it never misses a beat.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nickv02
in reply to: nickv02

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I've tried everything I know, and no luck so far.

Message 3 of 5
adam.nagy

Hi,

Does the problem only happen if you update the part programmatically?

Why are you trying to dimension the part from a sketch instead of directly on the sheet?

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 4 of 5
nickv02
in reply to: adam.nagy

Yes, it happens when I update programmatically through my VB program.

I am not dimensioning the part from a sketch.  I am entering sketch mode, drawing a sketch within my part, and anchoring the sketch to the part by using 'project geometry' and dimensioning my sketch to the part.  However, after the part has changed size or moved on the page, the projected geometries disappear and the sketch loses it's anchor points.

Message 5 of 5
adam.nagy

Hi,

Can you reproduce the same behaviour if you do everything through the UI - no API used at all?

Just to see if it's an API or a generic product issue

I'm wondering if during the part update any of the edges get deleted and maybe new ones are created.

That could explain why some sktech lines won't find the model geometry they are projected from.

Could be useful if you could narrow down the issue into somethig really minimal and non-cofidential: steps to create part/drawing file and then steps to do the update.

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report