Inventor Customization

Mentor
MegaJerk
Message 11 of 18 (1,289 Views)

Re: Run ilogic rule in each part from the assembly via external rule?

12-08-2011 09:32 PM in reply to: guyh

Alright. This will go through every part and change the Description to the Custom Iprop without all the nasty errors or messes. 

Just make a new rule in your assembly and give it a go. 

Dim openDoc As Document
openDoc = ThisDoc.Document

Dim docFile As Document

If openDoc.DocumentType = 12291 Then

For Each docFile In openDoc.AllReferencedDocuments

If docFile.DocumentType = 12290 Then

Dim assemblyDoc As AssemblyDocument
			assemblyDoc = openDoc

Dim assemblyDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition
			assemblyDef = assemblyDoc.ComponentDefinition

Dim partDoc As PartDocument
			partDoc = ThisApplication.Documents.Open(docFile.FullFileName, False)

iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Project", "Description") = iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Custom", "CUSTOM_NAME_HERE")
			Else 
			'''iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Project", "Description") = "Assembly" 
			'''Don't really know if you want anything to happen if there is a Sub Assembly that this code comes across. 
			'''If not, you could just take this entire else portion out. 
		End If 

Next

Else

MessageBox.Show("You must have a valid Assembly document open before using this code!", "File Type Mismatch!",MessageBoxButtons.OK,MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

End If 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my solution seems to remedy your problem, please press the Accept Solution button, -
as it increases my power levels and will eventually help to elevate me towards outer space.

Check out my iLogic injection tool here : http://goo.gl/ce1Qg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Distinguished Contributor
guyh
Message 12 of 18 (1,285 Views)

12-09-2011 01:15 AM in reply to: MegaJerk

Hi,

Thanks again.  I tried this on the same assembly and it failed.  I made a new assembly and this also failed.  It failed on the same issue as before.  I have attached the new simple 2 part assembly.  These parts have the description in the custom property so the rule should copy this to the project description.

Maybe you can see some issue with these files?

cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Mentor
MegaJerk
Message 13 of 18 (1,279 Views)

12-09-2011 05:23 AM in reply to: guyh

I found the problem. The line that used to read: 

iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Project", "Description") = iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Custom", "DISPLAY_NAME")

Now reads: 

iProperties.Value(docFName, "Project", "Description") = iProperties.Value(docFName, "Custom", "DISPLAY_NAME")

Because I did not take into consideration that your part names might be balanced, it was attempting to locate the iproperties of an instance it didn’t recognize.

If you right click and open your part (from the assembly), you’ll see that the root name is without any file extension. It would call on that DisplayName, but because it is neither a file (as it has no extension), nor is it an instance (because it would need a “:#” behind it to indicate the occurrence), it just freaks out.

Needless to say, the code above fixes this by looking at the actual file path of the document and shortening it down to just the file name of the part. That way it should always pull correctly… I hope.

This was actually a lesson for me! Pull from the darn part file name forever!

New iLogic Rule is below. 

Dim openDoc As Document

Dim docFile As Document

Dim assemblyDoc As AssemblyDocument
			assemblyDoc = openDoc

Dim assemblyDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition
			assemblyDef = assemblyDoc.ComponentDefinition

Dim partDoc As PartDocument
			partDoc = ThisApplication.Documents.Open(docFile.FullFileName, False)

Dim FNamePos As Long
            FNamePos = InStrRev(docFile.FullFileName, "\", -1)

Dim docFName As String
            docFName = Mid(docFile.FullFileName, FNamePos + 1, Len(docFile.FullFileName) - FNamePos)

iProperties.Value(docFName, "Project", "Description") = iProperties.Value(docFName, "Custom", "DISPLAY_NAME")
			Else 
			'''iProperties.Value(docFile.DisplayName, "Project", "Description") = "Assembly" 
			'''Don't really know if you want anything to happen if there is a Sub Assembly that this code comes across. 
			'''If not, you could just take this entire else portion out. 
		End If 

Next

Else

MessageBox.Show("You must have a valid Assembly document open before using this code!", "File Type Mismatch!",MessageBoxButtons.OK,MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

End If 

If my solution seems to remedy your problem, please press the Accept Solution button, -
as it increases my power levels and will eventually help to elevate me towards outer space.

guyh
Message 14 of 18 (1,277 Views)

12-09-2011 07:18 AM in reply to: MegaJerk

Great, thanks!  works a treat.  Glad you were able to learn something as well :smileywink:  (Joke) 

Really appreciate the help.  I am going to study the rule a bit and improve my knowledge.

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Mentor
MegaJerk
Message 15 of 18 (1,275 Views)

12-09-2011 01:41 PM in reply to: guyh

Improved less awful code : 

Dim openDoc As Document

Dim docFile As Document 

Dim FNamePos As Long

Dim docFName As String
            docFName = Right(docFile.FullFileName, Len(docFile.FullFileName) - FNamePos)

End If 

Next

Else

End If 

guyh
Message 16 of 18 (1,265 Views)

12-12-2011 02:08 AM in reply to: MegaJerk

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I want to try and adapt it a bit to skip parts where the custom property is blank (the old files already have the correct description in the description field.)

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
guyh
Message 17 of 18 (1,262 Views)

12-12-2011 03:14 AM in reply to: guyh

Ok so I added a little bit of code.  It seems to work.

Dim openDoc As Document

Dim docFile As Document 

Dim FNamePos As Long

Dim docFName As String
            docFName = Right(docFile.FullFileName, Len(docFile.FullFileName) - FNamePos)

If iProperties.Value(docFName, "Project", "Description")="" Then

End If

End If 

Next

Else

End If 

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Mentor
MegaJerk
Message 18 of 18 (1,259 Views)

12-12-2011 06:16 AM in reply to: guyh

Looks like it's all sorted out then! 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube