Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Cloud / Drawing Tools not working

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2636 Views, 9 Replies

Revision Cloud / Drawing Tools not working

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.  I'm having the same issue as 8wr_zj has posted during last Feb (ref. post) and we both can't get the revision cloud add-in to work within .idw files because the drawingtool add-in doesn't show up in the add-in manager listing.  I do however have the DerivedPart_SP tool appear on the add-in manager listing and it works great.  Stumped as to why that tool works and not the drawingtool add-in?

I'm running 64-bit Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3 with Windows 7 OS.  I have exacuted the UserTools.msi (2014 ver.) file that "unpacked" the UserTools directory folders to default location -

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK

I only get a quick flash of a DOS window when I execute the RegisterDrawingTools.exe file as if something is preventing it from completing.  This same thing occurs even when I right-click the .exe file and select "Run as administrator".

I have turned on as many admin settings I can find within Windows 7 that have anything to do with Inventor.

Any help will be much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Exact same thing that i have as well. I wish i could get this fixed it painful to draw rev clouds in Inventor.
Message 3 of 10
YuhanZhang

Can not you see the DrawingTools in the Add-Ins Manager or it appears there but could not be loaded? When you installed the UserTools.msi did you turn the UAC off? 

Maybe you can try to manually register the DrawingTools.dll with below steps:

1. Start "Visual Studio Command Prompt"(for x64 machine use "Visual Studio x64 Win64 Command Prompt").

2. Run below command:

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK\UserTools\DrawingTools\Bin\RegisterDrawingTools.exe /install"

Please let me if this solves the problem.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Hello yuhanzhang and thanks for the reply.  To answer your question-

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.  I'm having the same issue as 8wr_zj has posted during last Feb (ref. post) and we both can't get the revision cloud add-in to work within .idw files because the drawingtool add-in doesn't show up in the add-in manager listing.  I do however have the DerivedPart_SP tool appear on the add-in manager listing and it works great.  Stumped as to why that tool works and not the drawingtool add-in?

Tried it manually and still get the same DOS prompt window flash with no affect and/or nothing installs.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I believe I solved the problem (on my machine at least).  This is what I did before I noticed it working in an .idw drawing.

1. Close out of all Inventor programs.

2. Open Control Panel, use the Control Panel search and type in UAC.  Open the Change User Account Control settings.  Set the slider bar to the bottom to set it for "Never Notify".  Select OK and accept the new setting.

3. Go to your C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK\UserTools\DrawingTools\Bin file folder.  Right click RegisterDrawingTools.exe and select "Troubleshoot compatibility".    Check the first two box options under the Program Compatibility wizard and hit Next.  Select Windows Server 2008 (Service Pack 1) and hit Next.  Select "Start the program" botton.  DOS prompt window will flash.  Close wizard and open Inventor with new drawing document.  Check to see if DrawingTools is listed on your Add-In Manager 2014.

I'm not sure if the Windows Server 2008 (Service Pack 1) is the golden option out of the ones listed under the troubleshoot wizard, but it can't hurt to try all options.  

All I know is that I now have the Revision Cloud tool working!Smiley Wink

Spoiler

Message 6 of 10
mslosar

Our experience here has been if you don't have full administrative rights to the computer in question, after installing UserTools.msi you have to run Inventor once as an administrative user so something gets set right in the registry. Then, it works regardless of your permission level.

Message 7 of 10
YuhanZhang

Glad to hear that it works now. Maybe you can use below steps to avoid the same problem in the future:

1.Log in as an admin user.

2. Turn off UAC(i.e. set the UAC level to the bottom).

3. Install the UserTools.msi.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Thanks for the timely tips guys.Smiley Very Happy  I'm glad I was able to figure it out on my own.  

I hope I can at least help 8wr_zj with his clouding tool issue as well.

Message 9 of 10
rhasell

Hi all

I thought I would update this post, just incase someone stumbles upon it

Please refer to my post on this page, I had to do a step by step process, it might be of some use.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/autodesk-revision-cloud-seriously/td-p/570...

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 10 of 10
david_coulam
in reply to: rhasell

In my case, I was installing these tools on an admin profile with the checkbox for all users to be able to use the tools.  However, in some cases, the tools would still be available only on the admin profile.  I had to run the Inventor Reset Utility (after exporting the user's application options to a safe location) on the user profile before Inventor would recognize the Drawing Tools add-in.  After the new add-ins were working appropriately, I was able to import the user's settings again in Application Options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report